PDA

View Full Version : How big will my tinfoil barbs get?

Fritz Bakon
07-05-2010, 05:51 PM
i have had my tinfoil barbs for about a year already and they are about 3-4 inches. Will they get any bigger? And how long will the live?

EmmanuelJB
07-05-2010, 05:58 PM
How big is the tank? They should get much larger than 4 inches, reaching a foot or more.

EmmanuelJB
07-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Please tell me those tinfoil barbs arent in your 10 gallon!! They require 70 gallons, preferably more!

fins_n_fur
07-05-2010, 06:19 PM
You might want to take a look at these fish profiles (I have seen your other threads) to see how large some of your current fish will get not to mention their preference to be in schools or shoals.

Tinfoil barbs: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/tinfoilbarb.php

Bala sharks: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/balashark.php

Clown loaches: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/macracanthus.php

I hope that you are planning tank upgrades very soon.

rothenb1
07-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I have seen the tinfoil barbs at work grow from 2 inches to 5 inches in three months. If you've had them for a year and they're only 4 inches they are most likely stunted and might not live the lifespan they normally would.

EmmanuelJB
07-05-2010, 06:31 PM
@rothenb1

Ya, I think they are stunted. If you go the the OP's profile they say they have 3 tinfoils in a 10 gallon!!

Lab_Rat
07-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Pics of the tinfoils in a 10g or it didn't happen...thinking this is a troll thread.

troy
07-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Pics of the tinfoils in a 10g or it didn't happen...thinking this is a troll thread.
I've seen tinfoil barbs in a 10g before so it's not impossible.

Lab_Rat
07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying based on the other threads this OP has started I'm willing to say he's trolling. Now if he produces pics of the tanks I will be more likely to believe him, and be worried for the sake of the fish.

Fritz Bakon
07-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying based on the other threads this OP has started I'm willing to say he's trolling. Now if he produces pics of the tanks I will be more likely to believe him, and be worried for the sake of the fish.

now i dont no what you mean by trolling but i was given these fish from a friend when the were only a half an inch in length so i just put them in my 10 gallon. i never knew that tinfoil barbs could grow to a foot in length otherwise i would not have accepted them.

Lab_Rat
07-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Was the gold gourami 1/2" in length when you put it in the 10g too?

Fritz Bakon
07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
bout an inch

Lab_Rat
07-05-2010, 08:47 PM
That is amazing, I've never seen one that small for sale before. Generally, they're at least 2" or so in the stores.

Why don't you move the tinfoils to your 100g tank? It would be much better for them than the 10g. Should move that gourami too, 10g is no place for a trichopterus.

rothenb1
07-06-2010, 04:13 AM
"100 gallon 3 tinfoil barbs and 1 golden gorami all full grown. I know they need a bigger tank but they are very happy in the 10 gallon."

If I am not mistaken, the extra 0 was an error, it's just a 10 gallon.

Fritz, if your tinfoils were fully grown they wouldn't really even fit in the 10 gallon. They're done growing because of being stunted.

For a comparison: your genes say you should grow to be 6 feet tall. As an infant you're around 1.5 feet tall. Your barbs were babies when you got them, 2 inches lets say. Their genes say they should grow to be around 12 inches long. If someone took you as an infant, figured you'd stay around that size, and stuck you in a crib to live there for the rest of your life, your body would keep trying to grow, but it wouldn't be able to. So you'd probably be a little deformed.

It's the same with fish, except the physical deformities are inside. Their outside (what you see) stops growing, but their organs continue to grow as they normally would. This is the reason that stunted fish don't live a typical lifespan. Their organs squish on themselves. This is also why "feeder" goldfish don't live very long in bowls/1 gallon aquariums that they're put into. People think their goldfish lived a long, healthy 2 years, when in reality they can live as long as 15 years in ideal conditions and grow to over a foot long.

It's also like seeing a great dane as a 4 week old puppy and thinking she will not get any larger. It's common knowledge that they will become huge dogs. The difference is that with mammals it's easy to tell when she is a baby (large eyes and stumpy features that we instinctively know they will grow into), but fish do not have these qualities. Aside from size and sometimes color, a juvenile fish looks remarkably similar to an adult version of the same fish.

As a side note, the "gold" gourami (a color variation of the species three-spot gourami, Trichogaster trichopterus) can reach six inches.

It is unfortunate that fish are sold as babies because many people do not know how large they will truly become before it's too late.

I'm not trying to be mean, just letting you know that your fish aren't fully grown and will most likely will not live a normal lifespan. Good luck with your fish. Hopefully the advice given to you on this forum will allow you to have the knowledge to stock your next tank accordingly :ssmile:

Scrup
07-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Actually if you have only had them a year they are not too terribly stunted. If you put them in a larger tank they will still grow quite a bit.

Fritz Bakon
07-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Actually if you have only had them a year they are not too terribly stunted. If you put them in a larger tank they will still grow quite a bit.

ill do that right away thanks

Oskar
07-10-2010, 02:36 AM
How big were they?How long were they in the 10g? Your statement makes it seem like a 10g is an acceptable tank for tins. This is grossly incorrect.