PDA

View Full Version : Rosy Barb - how big do they get?

FishGirl-Seattle
06-29-2010, 06:58 AM
I bought 6 "High Fin Rosy Barbs" - I think they are just a variety of Rosy Barb, but never having kept this fish before I'm not sure what size they will attain. The LFS said 3 inches, but I have seen everything from that to 6 inches when I looked them up on the web. I don't usually go for barbs - last ones I kept were Golden Barbs and after 3 years they got to be about 2.5 - 3 inches and they were pretty stout, I thought these would be in the same range but if they actually do get to be 5 or 6 inches I will have to augment my filtration. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this barb species, and if so can you tell me how big they get?

MCHRKiller
06-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Realistically Rosy barbs in the home aquarium will obtain around 4-4.5". Fish continue to grow throughout their entire lives although once they hit maturity that growth stops dramatically. It could be the fish in our tanks just dont live long enough to obtain that, or it could be that estimate was based on a few freak large specimines. I have some 2 year old rosys now that are pushing 4" and I highly doubt they will grow to more than the stated.

I had some tinfoil barbs for around 8 years, alot of reference states they can grow to 16" mine were 12" and clearly not stunted...they also didnt noticeably grow past their 2nd year. So another arguement could be our tank bred mutts could also not have the biological potential to grow to maximum size due to inbreeding and growth hormones they are subjected to as fry.

Spardas
06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Not all fishes are made the same. Even from a strong line of potentially good stocks; you will have variances in size and shape. It is highly dependent on water quality and diet as well.

Now if you're willing to test this, go get a batch of a dozen rosy barbs and put them into two controlled setup.

Tank 1 will be larger but with weekly water large water change. Feed only 3 times a day.

Tank 2 will be smaller but with constant water change on a daily basis. Feed as much as you want and as much as the fish can eat.

Leaving everything else the same, you'll notice a difference in size of these fishes if they are juveniles waiting to reach adulthood.

little hawaii
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
I breed longfin rosey barbs for a few years. The males I had where just under five", the thing with them is they are half fins. Just do a few extra water changes and you should be fine unless your an overfeeder.

FishGirl-Seattle
06-30-2010, 04:04 AM
Sounds like the Rosy Barbs will definitely be bigger than 3 inches. Never thought I'd be hoping for inferior tank bred mutts but I would be ok with it this time if it meant a smaller fish! At 55 gallons I think space wise they will be ok, but I will need to move the Blue Flame Tetras into the soon to be acquired larger tank (38-40 gallon) and will probably be adding a second filter to the 55 gal tank. I had been meaning to add a small internal like a fluval plus 1 or 2 so I could have a spare in the event of another filter failure, guess now is as good time as any. I did a head count last night after I moved the neons and minnows - 12 fish! :scry: That's a mini cycle waiting to happen! All because I saw those brilliantly colored energetic Rosy Barbs and couldn't imagine not seeing them every night when I get home!

Excellence
07-25-2010, 09:27 AM
I bought one last week! Love it. Nice sparkling colour and flowing fins. Longtail rosy barb. Bought the smallest I could see because they can get relatively large. Zips back and forth like an X-wing.

I call him Sparky.

Lab_Rat
07-25-2010, 04:02 PM
My rosys are almost a year old and are about 2" if I had to guess.

I breed longfin rosey barbs for a few years. The males I had where just under five", the thing with them is they are half fins. Just do a few extra water changes and you should be fine unless your an overfeeder.
You do realize, you don't take the tail fin into account when measuring a fish, right? You only measure to the caudal peduncle.

I bought one last week! Love it. Nice sparkling colour and flowing fins. Longtail rosy barb. Bought the smallest I could see because they can get relatively large. Zips back and forth like an X-wing.

I call him Sparky.
Rosy barbs are schooling fish and need to be kept in school/shoals, at least 6+. All that zipping back and forth is probably due to stress and insecurity without other rosys. I hope Sparky gets friends if your tank size permits it, or that you return him.

Excellence
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
I suppose I could give him a friend.

Lab_Rat
07-27-2010, 09:21 PM
He needs more like 5 friends, but your tank has to be able to handle that stocking. "A" friend just won't cut it for schooling fish.

Excellence
07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
True. Anyway, brought home a friend. His behaviour instantly changed. From endlessly zipping back and forth along the front glass, they're now inseparable. It's had a great calming effect on him.

It's a wait and see approach. If my ammonia stays stable and shows no spikes, my tank can handle them. I'm still considering upsizing for the angels.