PDA

View Full Version : rosy barb doing "flips"

vinandizz
06-28-2010, 07:52 PM
I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank which is home to 5 rosy barbs, a rainbow shark, 4 bala sharks, a clown loach, and a pleco. I have had them for about a year and a half. I was out of town over the weekend and dropped weekend feeders in but didn't have the lights on a timer so I just left them off. I was gone for about 48hrs. When I returned I switched on the lights and fed them but one of the rosy barbs does crazy flips and rolls on its way to the top to eat but cannot actually make it to the top. After he wears himself out with this little dance he floats sideways for a minute and then sinks to the bottom where you can see him breathing really hard. I thought for sure he was dying and that I would wake up this morning to a dead fish but he is still alive and still can't make it to the top. Any ideas what happened to him?! Or what I can do for him?!

little hawaii
06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm gonna guess that it got T-Boned by one of your sharks and damaged its swim bladder. Give it a hr. bath in some epsom salts. It warked on goldfish and your barb is closely related.

MCHRKiller
06-28-2010, 09:37 PM
It could be one of two issues, just a general swim bladder issue that will resolve itself. Or some sort of internal parasite/bacterial infection. What are your parms and are any other fish doing it? Ive always found that cyprinids to be more prone to general swim bladder issues, and usually they are very re-occuring problems. Honestly I would probably euthanize the fish as it will put it out of its misery of not being able to swim properly without much you can do for it.

Spardas
06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I would have to agree with MCHRKiller with this one pertaining to general swim bladder with possible issues with bacterial infection.

Does the stomach look bloated or constipated before it started doing this?

Unless the fish is really something you wish to save, then I would also consider euthanization. Swim bladder disease is difficult to treat and I've treated 6 fishes with this before but only 4 made it out alive and back to normal. The length of treatment and time of recovery was also different for these fishes. One died within one day. Another lived for a week and then died. The four that recovered took as little as 1 day to recover to 3 months to recover.

Lady Hobbs
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
I so agree with Spardas. Swim bladder issues are seldom cured. Epsom salt works for constipation but never seen it work for swim bladder.