PDA

View Full Version : Over Quoting - Let Go Easy

fins_n_fur
06-24-2010, 05:37 AM
We've begun to notice a trend where folks are using the quote feature more and more and more. While this is generally okay, some of you are going over the top with the functionality. With more and more of you using hand held devices like mobile phones, over quoting is simply annoying to have to keep scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to see the relevant parts of the threads.

Please use the quote feature judiciously. Thank you!

Lady Hobbs
06-24-2010, 05:41 AM
It's ridiculous is what it is. Like we all need to re-read every post here.

There is no need to quote when replying to the original poster. Quotes are fine is you want to pick out a line that applies to your post but quoting huge long posts to simply say "I agree" on the bottom is nuts.

EmmanuelJB
06-24-2010, 05:49 AM
It takes me for ever to brows the internet on my phone in the first place lol.

Northernguy
06-24-2010, 03:50 PM
:19: Well said fins_n_fur!thumbs2:

It is happening way too often.
Is it really necessary to quote directly after the op?
Is it not obvious that you are talking to the op?lol

Northernguy
06-25-2010, 03:17 PM
There is nothing wrong with a "comfirmation post" but the Quote is not necessary.

Rue
06-25-2010, 07:15 PM
I do the floofy confirmation posts...I just think it's nice to know who has been reading your posts once in a while. I generally try to add a bit to them...but sometimes I have nothing to add!

But yes...quoting the entire post, esp. if you're specifically only referring to one segment of it...not necesarry.

And I HATE huge signatures.

And I HATE when people feel obligated to put down every pet they own, and have ever owned in their signatures (er, that's on pet forums, of course). Do they think their dead pets will come back and haunt them if they remove them from their internet signatures?

I like knowing what pets people have...but no need to embellish it up to the nines just because you 'have the technology'.

Wild Turkey
06-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Theres nothing wrong with the +1 or "I agree".

speaking of "netiquette"...

Lets remember this is not a suggestions or pet peeves thread, its an announcement from an Admin. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but this is not the appropriate place to voice them.

chrisfraser05
06-25-2010, 07:50 PM
I agree!

only kidding. some good points there though.
I think the "I agree" and "+1" have their place on forums as detailed above and also quoting is very usefull but only in the right places.

Sometimes though we all have a lazy day and can post an "as above" because we can't be arsed but want to weigh in lol

Lady Hobbs
06-26-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't mind the +1 either. I don't care if there are 300 posts here as long as they are not loaded down with quotes.

fins_n_fur
06-26-2010, 11:14 PM
It's also easy to use @ to direct a specific comment at someone other than the OP rather than quoting their entire post.

For example:

@Lady Hobbs - I disagree with what you said about +1's because...blah blah blah. Much easy to read a thread with something like that to scroll through a re-run of something you've just read. Of course, if you have an attention disorder, then this will be a challenge.

domjd05
06-29-2010, 02:30 AM
I think it's great that this has been addressed, I use my blackberry to view the forum while I'm at work (sneaky, sneaky, JK, they don't care).. and it's a pain to scrolllllllllllll for a long time, just to see an "I agree" or something like that.

Lady Hobbs
06-29-2010, 02:32 AM
It's a pain sitting right here and not using a blackberry, too.

Scrup
11-09-2010, 06:52 AM
For large quotes, its also not a bad idea to not use the entire thing. It is usually unnecessary. Break it up with some periods, nothing wrong with that. Example-

I guess because I finally... ...or not correctly.

Lets people know what you are referring to, and also saves space.

Or you can do the classic -

@ladyhobbs-Yes

@william-don't make it larger

Just some options that can cut down on quote sizes

Northernguy
11-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Really,just use a bit of Common Sense! How hard is that?
Its real easy to do.This over quoting thing is already ridiculous.

Demjor19
11-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Common sense isn't as common as you might think...

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Time for another reminder??????????

Forum Rules state:

QUOTING. It is OK to quote another post but "excessive" quoting is annoying, makes posts too long and makes it difficult for cellular uses to acess the forum. Use common sense and respect and only quote when necessary! Quoting every sentence or paragraph is not allowed.

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Bringing this to the top to get attention (again).

Excessive over-quoting again. There is no reason for a post to be a block long. Or to quote entire huge posts to write......." I agree". Or to quote the post that is directly before yours.

People don't even want to read a thread loaded with quotes and it certainly is not appreciated by our celluar uses.

Thank You again.....

KingFisher
02-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Time for a bump.

KingFisher
05-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Time for another bump