PDA

View Full Version : Bleach dip killed my swords

Lady Hobbs
06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Dang it. Had two nice swords about 14" high and noticed just a bit of BBA starting on the tips of a couple leaves. Should have just trimmed it off but I decided to do a bleach dip. All leaves on both plants are totally transparent this morning. 5 months to grow and 2 minutes to kill!

Nice work Hobbs.

Sasquatch
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Bummer, that's a lot of time and effort lost.

For the next time you (or anyone else) want to treat BBA, try using Flourish Excel. I've use it several times to treat algae (black, brown and green) and it's great for spot treating plants and decorations.

I shut down all the filtration/water movement and using a pipette from test kits, squirt the concentrated Excel directly onto the affected areas. Leave all the water movement off for 5-10 minutes and then restart. In a few days, your alges should disapear.

Hope it helps.

Lady Hobbs
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Yup. I have Excel right here, too, as well as peroxide. *sigh

Aeonflame
06-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Oh man. thats tough LH. I know how you feel though.. I lost practically all of my giant hygro to a bleach dip.

Rue
06-01-2010, 04:25 PM
So sorry Hobbs!:scry: I get attached to plants too.

I finally transplanted a Boston Fern we've had for some 20 years...and I don't think it's going to make it...kinda bummed about that...

domjd05
06-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Hobbs I can attest that the peroxide method seems to work.. it takes a bit of diligence, but simply turning off your filters, and using a syringe (no needle obviously..) or whatever just spray it on the affected plant... after a few minutes resume filtration.. wait 24hrs, repeats and I find that (if the plants not anchored well this could go badly..) putting my syphon tube over the plant after a few peroxide applications, you will start to see the algae come right off and go right out the syphon tube, obviously you will not need to worry about the little spores BBA puts out as they go out the syphon as well.

This has worked for me, just a suggestion.

korith
06-15-2010, 03:38 AM
A high dose of excel works well, either in a bucket. Or turn off the filters, and use a syringe to spot treat the bba with the excel.

How long did you leave them in there for the bleach dip? I've done it before w/o anything bad happening. Just have to limit how long you leave them in there.

just realized other people already said the same thing.

AdrienDeLaChicago
07-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what is BBA?

I have algae growing on my plants and I also have Flourish and I am having such a pain controlling algae. Is it Flourish (carbon) or is it another Flourish?

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Black beard algae. I now use Excel to kill it.

AdrienDeLaChicago
07-03-2010, 06:29 AM
I got see. Thanks.

tanks4thememories
07-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Sorry for the loss Hobbs. At least we learned somthing so its not a total loss.
We should start a list of plants that don't tolerate bleach dips.

kennedpa
07-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I personally do not agree with bleach method....my swords are 24" high. Whats wrong with a couple of SAE's ?... I had BBA, Excel got rid of some, not all... got the SAE's in and BBA no more and no casualties.

kennedpa
07-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Further just to clarify.....if I used the bleach method I would be doing it every week because our h2o comes with wonderful BBA so it would be a lost battle, hence recruiting the species that are known to rid BBA in the tank.

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Haven't been able to get SAE's for the last 6 years. For some reason, here in the Great North the only fish they are familiar with is the northern pike and bass. LOL

One of these days when I am feeling extra rich, I will just order some online and hope for the True SAE's.

kennedpa
07-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Thats not good.... would have thought sae's would have been in reach around the globe....bugga

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
They do. It just takes a couple eons for them to hit northern MI. LOL Every store here has CAE so I always have to pass on that. Right now I am in no panic. No algae anywhere. (Thank You Jesus.)

kennedpa
07-03-2010, 12:25 PM
good to hear....re the algea...pass on the cae's thou

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Definately. I went that route one time already. I liked them less than I like my snails.......if that's possible.

kennedpa
07-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I hear ya :22:

korith
07-03-2010, 09:35 PM
One of these days when I am feeling extra rich, I will just order some online and hope for the True SAE's.

The toughest part about getting sae is making sure you end up with real ones and not mislabelled flying foxes or other things.

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I hear ya and they shouldn't be sold as SAE's when they are not.

kennedpa
07-04-2010, 12:24 AM
The toughest part about getting sae is making sure you end up with real ones and not mislabelled flying foxes or other things.

Its rather simple to tell them apart....real SAE's do not have dark markings on their dorsal fins.... FF's do :-)

korith
07-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Its rather simple to tell them apart....real SAE's do not have dark markings on their dorsal fins.... FF's do :-)

You and I know that, as well as many others here, but a lot of chain petstores that sell fish don't. A bag of fish gets pulled out of the box and whatever it's labeled as is what it get sold as.