PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Barb agression?

LeJohn23
05-07-2010, 04:04 AM
Hello, I have a recently established 55G aquarium that I have just introduced 6 cherry barbs to, 3 male and 3 female. The first night the 6 of them got along and swam as one school almost as a "ball." Now today the males seem to be territorial. Most times, other than feeding, if a male or a female ventures into another male's territory he will chase the other away. One of the males has not seemed to establish his own territory and drifts around the center of the tank, not causing much harm. All 3 of the females do not care about each other or the males. The are content now nibbling away at the algae growing on the mopani wood.

The only other fish in the tank is an adult male betta and they seem to know better and not mess with him. What do you think is causing this? Also do you think they will continue to be this way or is it something common when put into a new environment?

Northernguy
05-07-2010, 05:08 AM
If they are new to the tank give it a few days and see what happens.They may need time to get accustomed to the tank.
Keep an eye on the betta.Those fins are famous for getting nipped at.
Cherry barbs are the least aggressive of the barbs but they are still barbs.lol

What else are you adding to the tank?

jaysee
05-07-2010, 06:20 AM
I agree, it takes a few days minimum for most fish to get comfortable. Some are right away, while others take weeks.

Your barbs are just jockying for position - once they establish a pecking order I would expect things to change. Barbs will routinely chase each other though.

LeJohn23
05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
What else are you adding to the tank?
I plan to add glowlight tetras, neon tetras, silvetip tetras, otos, false jullii cory and maybe some zebra danios.

As for the barbs nipping the betta, they seem afraid of him and do not go near him. They dart away when they see him coming.

Lady Hobbs
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I'd give that Betta his own home in a 5-10 gallon so you won't have to worry about him. I'd really be worried with adding neons and glowlights to a tank with him.

jaysee
05-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I've found glowlights to be very nippy. I had 9 of them and they tore apart one of my rams fins.

Taurus
05-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Cherry barbs, when first put into a new home tank, establish a pecking order. The dominate male will be the brightest color red. The males always challenge each other by flaring. It's all part of establishing a hierarchy. They'll settle down after a couple of weeks and the males will start chasing the females around..and sometimes vise versa. I have 4 males in with 4 females and a dwarf gourami. the cherrys are always chasing each other around. But they never challenge the DG.

I think it would be a good idea to keep the betta on his own.

LeJohn23
05-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I will keep a close eye on the nipping. Haven't seen anyone even think about going near the betta. At first sign of stress or anything I will remove him. I just don't have anywhere to place the betta and I don't want to send him back to his unheated, unfiltered, 1 gallon bowl that he was imprisoned to.

Thanks for the advice!

Garrett
06-04-2010, 05:22 AM
I have neons and cherry barbs and they completely ignore my betta. Couldn't say anything about glowlights, though.

Excellence
06-16-2010, 12:58 PM
I had 2 male cherrys, and they spent all day hiding behind plants. They WERE the smallest in the tank but I think when fish are that small they need to be in groups to encourage bravery to roam around. Otherwise they will stay hiding even during feeding times and slowly starve.

jaysee
06-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I had 2 male cherrys, and they spent all day hiding behind plants. They WERE the smallest in the tank but I think when fish are that small they need to be in groups to encourage bravery to roam around. Otherwise they will stay hiding even during feeding times and slowly starve.

There are fish that school only when they're small, like you said, but barbs are a genuinely schooling (shoaling) fish. Keeping just 2 is not advisable.