PDA

View Full Version : Growth rate of tiger barbs?

domingo3
03-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi. I just got some tiger barbs for my 50 G tank. I got 7 of them, but all the ones they had for sale were really small - like a 1/4 or 3/8 in long. How long will it take them to grow? I don't want to rush them to the full 3 inches, but right now, they look lost in the big tank.

Thanks

Dave66
03-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi. I just got some tiger barbs for my 50 G tank. I got 7 of them, but all the ones they had for sale were really small - like a 1/4 or 3/8 in long. How long will it take them to grow? I don't want to rush them to the full 3 inches, but right now, they look lost in the big tank.

Thanks

The rate of growth in your barbs, or any aquarium fish for that matter, depends greatly on tank parameters (pH, hardness), temperature, space, and feeding. That said, you should see growth in the quarter to half inch range every six weeks or so.

You could easily house more than seven tiger barbs in your 50, up to 10 or 12 fish. It'd be a better display, and tiger barbs are much more peaceful in larger groups like that.

Dave

rhonin
03-27-2010, 10:07 PM
About a month plus ago I put 5 Tiger and 5 Green in my 100 as cycle fish.
They look good enough they are staying.

Got them at 1" and after a month, they are still 1".
My LFS said generally about 1" year maxing out at around 3"

Unfortunately the Green do not seem to be as hardy as the Tigers as one Green has died and another is not looking well (QT).

Luck and Enjoy!!

:22:

annageckos
03-27-2010, 10:10 PM
It really depends on many factors. When I got my ruby barbs they where really small. A couple of months later they are around two inches.