PDA

View Full Version : walmart bulbs?

llonka
03-18-2010, 11:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if the plant bulbs they sell at walmart would lower my nitrates. i would like to have some live plants but none of our lfs sell them already grown. not sure hubby would let me buy them online... so what would i have to do in order to get them to grow? i dont wanna spend lots of money on them if can't get them to grow.
Thanks!:11:

smaug
03-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Any plant will help lower nitrates.The bulbs sold at wally world are normally apongentums.I have bought at least 2 packs of them and only gotten 3 bulbs to grow.The ones that did git very large and grew wonderfully with good lighting.Because they are a bulb plant they need a dormant period where the die back and rest.This occurs naturally during cooler water periods.In our tanks the temp stays warm all the time and the plant eventually dies and doesnt come back.They are a neat looking plant and cost very little.Give it a try,they are even warrantied by the supplier and they do honor it if the bulbs fail to grow.I have been told the ones they send out as replacements are healthier and grow very well.

llonka
03-19-2010, 12:10 AM
oh thank you smaug!! do i just plop them in the tank, or do i need to do something special?? also do they need fertilizers??? if i took them out when they are ready for their rest period, will they grow back? :hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
03-19-2010, 12:27 AM
The best way to start them out is in a shallow pan of water in a sunny window sill.Let them sprout till they have shoots about an inch long with developed roots coming out as well.Then place them in the tank with a small stone on top of the bulb but not buried in the gravel,roots down,shoots up.It will take in about a week.Yes you can remove them after you see them diminish in growth and place them in a cool damp area {ive never done this,I just let them die}so Im not totally sure about that part.

annageckos
03-19-2010, 12:43 AM
I have good luck with them and really like them to, it is a surprize exactly what types you will get. The last pack I got a lotus, onion plant and one that grew floating leaves only. For me the best way to start them is to just drop them in the tank. Once they start to sprout I plant them. Some fish will eat the sprouts though so if you have any that do you are better off starting them in a cup or container of water. The do need a domancy period, so they do die back. Mine lasted about a year before dieing off.

llonka
03-19-2010, 01:26 AM
well you two should work at walmart cuz you sold the bulbs to me!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:
think i'll go out tomorrow and give them a try!!! thank you so much!:fish:

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Do larger water changes to lower those nitrates. If you buy plants, you need to improve your lighting so if money is an object, bigger water changes may have to do for now.

llonka
03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
well told hubby to get some bulbs when he gets off! (he works at wally world in the pet department hahaha he's the manager)
As for my lighting I have GE 6500K daylight in there. will that be ok for the new plants??

I thought about plopping some in the tank, and putting some in the window to see which works better. good idea??:11:

llonka
03-27-2010, 03:29 AM
So i've had these bulbs in the tank for a week and i've noticed something white and hairy growing on them. could it be mold?? are they bad bulbs?? thanks!

troy
03-27-2010, 03:36 AM
It does sound like mold. They probably are bad bulbs. If you look on the back of the package they came in, they have an address to get new bulbs if yours don't sprout.

annageckos
03-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Gently sqeeze the bulb, if it is soft and sqishes it is most likely bad. If it is firm on the inside it is still good. I have had bulbs take over a month to grow, other grow in days.

llonka
05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
hey all!!

i got some replacement bulbs in the mail the other and put three in my guppy tank and two in my betta tank. i have two bulbs sprouting already!!!!thumbs2: is there anything i need to do to make sure they grow to be healthy plants??

kozacki
06-02-2010, 03:20 AM
I have never experimented with plants before.
I bought the lilys and apongentums.
Just dropped them in my 20G.
Let's see what happens...

Lady Hobbs
06-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Bulbs can not be planted very deep at all. Just barely in the substrate or they will rot like that. Bury only about 1/3.