PDA

View Full Version : Pufferfish Decor

Rue
05-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Started with 4 dwarf puffers...2 died (or so I thought)...

...replaced them with 2 more puffers...1 died...

...however, I still have 4 puffers that appear to be doing fine...they're snail-eating machines...I haven't fed them anything else yet...but I need to buy some frozen brine shrimp...I know they were eating shrimp at the LFS...

One problem I hadn't anticipated is tank decor...at the LFS they were easy to see against the plain blue background...

...in my tank they're impossible to see! I have the typical background and a decoration...that's it. I'm still planning to redecorate the tank with Java Fern on driftwood...to break up the tank for little territories...but I'm afraid that with plants in the tank I'll never see them again!

And I don't want invisible fish!

cocoa_pleco
05-10-2007, 02:19 AM
well, if you want to see them, plants are a no. Go with a few rocks or decorations that dont have openings then

Rue
05-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Well yes - that's the logical move to make...but they're supposed to be happier with plants...

...I suppose in part, because snails hang out on plants...therefore puffers hang out by plants to hunt snails...

kimmers318
05-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Don't worry about not being able to see your dp's once they get adjusted to you and their tank. These guys are some of the greediest and most interactive of puffers and once they realize you feed them, they will start begging for food whenever you come around. They will follow your fingers around the tank glass and 2 of mine have even taken a ride in the siphon becuase they were too curious!
Did you do gravel or sand? A trick that works out well to suck out snail shells when they get the ones that are too big for their mouths is to use just the hose without the gravel piece attached...the shells siphon right up without getting stuck in the narrow opening.
Suggestion on food....snails are great, as you have seen. Brine shrimp really doesn't have a lot of nutrtional value so use sparingly, but I haven't met a dp yet who didn't love frozen bloodworms. Mine refuse the freeze dried ones, but love the frozen. Frozen mysis shrimp will usually be taken also, although mine still like to hold out for bloodworms. Live blackworms are a real treat if you can get them.

Jermy
05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
DPs are the only reason i started looking into fish. I did alot of research and found out alot of information on another site... idk the name but it is a whole site set up just for DP owners and there are quite a few people on it.

There guna be shy at first, but like Rue said, they learn who you are and then love you. Ive also found that they are pigs, and if you feed them regularly when you walk by they follow you all the time, and if you dont feed them the get mad and puff up a little.

Plants and stuff of any kind are a must because they are teratorial. and keeps them from harrasing each other, givin the little ones somewhere to hide.

dont add any long fin fish.
and becareful of how many of each gender you have in there, ive heard females gang up on the males, but males fight over territory.

all in all theyre supposed to be fun fish, im getting some whenever i find something to do with the goldie i started with as a cycle fish.

Rue
05-16-2007, 10:40 PM
...Did you do gravel or sand? A trick that works out well to suck out snail shells when they get the ones that are too big for their mouths is to use just the hose without the gravel piece attached...the shells siphon right up without getting stuck in the narrow opening....

Thanks! I can certainly stock up on other frozen foods...I haven't seen anything live sold for fish around here at all...and I'm really not inclined to raise any more bugs...I have my cockroaches and my mealworms...that's enough...:D

I have a med. sized gravel in the tank...I'll try your suggestion!!! :D

Have to do a major clean up...looks like a war zone at the bottom of the tank...and each puffer has staked out a corner of the tank...

When my bogwood finally stops turning the bucket water brown...I'll attach some Java Fern and put that in the tank...should provide them with some prettier boundries for their territories...

Rue
05-16-2007, 10:42 PM
DPs are the only reason i started looking into fish. I did alot of research and found out alot of information on another site... and becareful of how many of each gender you have in there, ive heard females gang up on the males, but males fight over territory....

They're very cute! That's for sure...very different from regular-bodied fish...I think I know which site you're talking about!

I tried to sex mine before I put them in the tank...I think...but I'm not totally sure...that I have 3 females and 1 male...

kimmers318
05-17-2007, 01:10 AM
I am not 100% sure, but I believe the bogwood turning the water brown is due to the release of tannins, and tannins will lower your ph. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I don't think it is a drastic lowering, but you might want to keep an eye on your ph for awhile to make sure that larger water changes aren't swinging you back up to tap water ph level, and then the tannins are lowering ph. The dp's can adapt to pretty much any water, as long as it stays stable, but ph swings are real hard on fish. If you see that over the week between w/c your ph is dropping noticeably you might want to do 2 smaller w/c changes to keep from swinging the ph up and down.
As for sexing, pictures really don't do male dp's justice, but once you see a male with his wrinkles you will be able to pick them out instantly. I have even seen wrinkles on fairly young dp's that have been coming into the stores locally. And although people don't rely on the different body sizes/shapes/types for sexing, I have been able to easily spot what is most likely females and haven't been wrong yet.
Enjoy your dp's, you won't regret it, but beware.....puffers are addictive:help:
I started with one female, Missy, and now have 9 puffers, in 5 different tanks:hmm3grin2orange: .
Here is a pretty good shot I have of my males eye wrinkles
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/dp%20tank/gizmo-1.jpg

Rue
05-17-2007, 01:44 AM
...we have fairly high pH here...so a little softening can't hurt...but I will monitor...

...I've been soaking the wood for 2 weeks...it's still not quite ready for the tank...

Cute wrinkles on your puffer! I was going by the stripe down the belly...one has an obvious stripe the other 3 don't...

...but I'm gonna go look for wrinkles now! Thanks!

kimmers318
05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
The belly stripe can come and go just like other colors during times of stress or excitement, the wrinkles are there forever. Also, some females can get a goatee which doesn't stretch all the way down the belly.

Rue
06-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Still can't tell the sex of my puffers!

However I finally tied the java fern to the bogwood and put it in the puffer tank today...looks nice...but not as much of the 'wow' factor as I had hoped...lol...

The bogwood in the 25l has lowered the pH quite a bit...the other tanks were all sitting around 7.8-8.0 and it's at 7.0 or so...

kimmers318
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Well, like I said, be cautious that you don't raise the PH too much when doing water changes as the swings will be very hard on your puffs. 2-3 smaller water changes per week to vac out snail shells and then just rinse your filter once weekly should keep it good.
Can you post some pics of your puffs, maybe we can get an idea of sex.
Enjoy your puffs.

puddlekeeper
06-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Puffers huh?

Well - here are a few things I have learned.

If you can do it - Magnum 350 canister filter kits have a vac that attaches to some filter intakes.
No forced water changes & helps in cleaning!

Sea Shell's balance PH in your water

Sand substrate - if you can get ocean sand - it is the best because crushed shell helps with balancing the PH.

For feeding:

frozen Mysis Shrimp are very high in protein.

Snails help with their teeth - if they do NOT have snails or some kind of shell to chew on you will have to trim their teeth with toe nail clippers.

Conch shell will gladly be chewed on by puffers - let them for your well being!

Freeze dried shrimp - my GSP loves it!

Here is an idea for a background that I did ...

Ever see the ones you put on the back of a tank?
I got one that had a lot of plants and the upper portion was a rock design ...

I just trimmed out the rock from between the plants with an razor knife.

See the cut outs in the photo.

Rue
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
You guys have so many great ideas! I'm gonna be messing around with the tanks this weekend (I hope!)...

...I'll let you know if I incorporate any of your suggestions!

...and keep 'em coming! :D

Didn't I post pics of them? I'll post them again...this was the best I could do with my current digital...don't think it was designed with puffers in mind!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/Puffer3-0509.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/Puffer4-0509.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/Puffer2-0507.jpg

puddlekeeper
06-08-2007, 01:32 AM
oh!! Green Spotted Puffers (GSP's) :thumb:

kimmers318
06-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Puddlekeeper, they are dwarf puffers, not GSP....big difference:thumb:
Rue, don't be surprised if your dp's won't take alot of the foods mentioned by puddlekeeper, I see a HUGE difference in what my dp's will eat compared to my larger puffs. My dp's won't touch anything freeze dried, will only take mysis if really hungry. They seem to only want frozen bloodworms and snails. Mine won't even touch the amano shrimp I put in there to see how it would go! (I only tried this after they left ghost shrimp alone)

kimmers318
06-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Forgot to add, the 3rd pic does look like some shiny eye wrinkles are appearing so that may be a male. Hopefully you will get better pics soon or be able to figure it out!

puddlekeeper
06-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Puddlekeeper, they are dwarf puffers, not GSP....big difference:thumb:
okay :confused: ... I thught it looks like mine ...

kimmers318
06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Understandable.

Rue
06-12-2007, 01:04 AM
All the puffers are just too cute! Wish I could have a tank with each of them!

However, I'm content with my foursome! Maybe I lucked out and have 1 male and 3 females...

...still trying for better pics!