PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Steal Loach Food! Help

A.J.
05-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I have a healthy Hillstream Loach. In the tank I have smooth pebbles and a large rock that has a coating of algae on it. I have seen it graze on the rock and it loves to clean the glass and pebbles. I worry that natural algae might not be enough so I supplement its diet with the odd algae tablet. The only problem is once the two shubunkin find it they really go at it and th eloach doesn't get a look in.
Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you solve it. Getting another tank isn't an option for me because of where I live.

Rue
05-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Just arrange your decor so that there's a crevice of sorts that the loach can eat in...but that's too narrow for the goldies to get to...

Mdsuave13
07-09-2007, 10:06 PM
well i had similar problems while i had my koi's inside from a particularly harsh winter.. They ate EVERYTHING... the problem is mainly that goldfish and tropical fish shouldnt be together.. but i know tons of people have that kind of setup.

Loaches are bottom feeders and so are goldfish/koi/shubunkens/etc. So really you are going to have to "hide" the food from the gold fishes.. or you can try to drop some goldfish pellets in on the opposite end of the tank and then throw some loach food in on the other side and hopefully that will give the loaches time to actually eat.. but i would recommend taking out those goldfish or trading them to someone for another tropical fish that doesnt bottom feed.

Nick_Pavlovski
07-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Maybe use a pane of glass to physically seperate the loach from the goldfish - so each has their own "dining room"?

Mdsuave13
07-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Maybe use a pane of glass to physically seperate the loach from the goldfish - so each has their own "dining room"?

or you could use a tank seperator. I know they sell ones that have a removable divider for most tank sizes. That way you can seperate them but take it out when you need to.

Plus its a net so you dont have to worry about a loss of filtration if you only have a filter setup on one side of your tank.

Incredulous_Ed
07-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Maybe you could feed the goldfish on one side of the tank while giving the tablet to the loach on the other side.

Nick_Pavlovski
07-10-2007, 12:39 PM
or you could use a tank seperator.
Plus its a net so you dont have to worry about a loss of filtration if you only have a filter setup on one side of your tank.

Oh yeh!
Silly me, forgot about those.