PDA

View Full Version : Barb compatibility?

DrNic
02-23-2010, 06:16 PM
I'll soon be setting up a 55+ gallon tank. One of the idea I had for the tank was based around a school of barbs, but I wanted to try to add other things in so it wasn't a mono-species tank.

Being a little on the aggressive side, what other fish are compatible with Tiger/Albino/Green/Cherry barbs?

Taurus
02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Rasbora? :fish:

Spartanhockey89
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Any of the short finned tetras. basically, species with shorter fins, which may be less likely to get nipped. The more barbs, the less chance of this

Oscar_freak12321
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Rasbora, shortfinned tetras, and little oddballs such as something like a peacock eel or something could be cool as well. :22:

Spartanhockey89
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
a school of female bettas would add a lot of different colors, maybe 3-4 of those?

DrNic
02-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Short finned tetras like rummynose, neons and bloodtips? I figured those species would be too docile for barbs?

I thought it was a bad idea to have multiple female bettas in a tank? Do they really get along with barbs?

What about pearl gouramis? I have a single medium sized, somewhat aggressive pearl gourami that I would like to hold onto but I'm not sure if she will work with the barbs.

annageckos
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
The gourami may or may not work out. I have pearl gouramis with black ruby barbs without a problem. Tigers are one of the more aggressive of the barbs. Cherry, gold, ruby, checker barbs all seem to be more docial. It is best not to mix barbs with long fined fish. As for female bettas, they can be mixed. I have a group in my 55 heavily planted tank. That IMO is key, have lots of plants/rocks. Things to break up the line of site and lets the fish make out territories. If you are going to go with tiger barbs I suggest that you get a large school at least 8 but 10 or more would be better. They tend to be less aggressive to other fish when they are kept in larger numbers.

Wild Turkey
02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Red tailed sharks, other tiger barbs and most bottom feeders will be left alone, anything else is hit or miss. The more barbs you have to more likely they will content with fighting amongst themselves.

Keep in mind the females get large enough to eat zebra danios and similar size fish.

Betta will most likely get annihilated with barbs, especially female betta.

Gourami are also a poor bet but might have a chance, its depends on individual circumstances of course.

Making sure you have a Q tank not only for new arrivals but for separation will make the process a lot less of a headache.