PDA

View Full Version : 1st time barb owner

Wingzman
02-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I recently got back into keeping fish, I aquired a 29 gallon tank, and cleaned it out good(no cleaning products), I got a filter that is works in the 20-40 gallon range, and a heater that is for up to 30 gallon tanks. For the past Month I have been watching them, and they are quickly becoming my favorite hobby fish type. I had my fist death tonight. I just wanna run my situation by you guys and see what you think, so hopefully I am not over looking something, maybe i'm just disappointed, but i don't wanna lose any more so here goes.

I had 4 tiger barbs, 2 green barbs, 2 albino tiger barbs, 2 cherry barbs (1m/1f), 2 rosy barbs (1m/1f).

I lost one of the albino barbs, I thought something was wrong with him today as he was swimming in one spot and seemed to just be treading water at the top. He was the only one and now no fish are doing that. The reason I didn't think anything was wrong was because contrary to what i've heard and read and seen the albinos never schooled. They just sayed together the rest of the fish have never had problems, staying right with each other, rosys, cherries, and tigers with green barbs but the albinos never mingled with the other tigers, now the solitary one is actually swimming whicgh they never really did before, i hope he will join up with the others and not die like his buddy.

I have 1 leafy plant in the middle, 5 little grass shoot plants lining the front and arount the edge of a fake log, a air bubbler covered in a pile of smooth river rocks, and 3 more plants that go to about halfway up the tank, that surround a fake rock/cave type thing the cherries seem to love.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, thanks guys. G'night.

Northernguy
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
How did you cycle the tank?
What are the perameters in the tank?Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates are the important ones.
Are you doing proper water changes? How much how often?

Please read the link in my sig as well.

Spartanhockey89
02-22-2010, 03:51 PM
You did buy enough barbs, so I agree with NG on this one. How long did you wait for the tank to cycle? You mentioned previous experience, but it can some times be overlooked. A test kit is always a good investment for these things. How did the fish seems at the store? And did you examine the body after the albino died?

Wingzman
02-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I cycled the tank for about a week, I have yet to change any water, I've added about 1 gallon of water in that time do to evaporation.

If it was water quality then i'd think that all the fish would be affected somewhat, but every one of them seems fine, the albinos just never fit in. They hardly ever swam around and explored, the only exception was feeding time, they got in and mixed it up with all of them then, and they both ate every day.

The others are almost non-stop, always moving, searching, and the albinos just sit there, content to just exist.

I guess I will try replacing some of the water and see how that goes. I dobt it will make him start schooling but i'll try anything, i'm just hoping he doesn't die now because he is all alone.

Wingzman
02-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Siphoned the tank to about 10 gallons and then capped it off again.
They look a little more energized, but the albino is just there, hovering, I guess time will tell, its hard to think right now he would just suddenly join the others after not mingling for so long.

I also changed the filter, since I knocked some debris off the sides.The one I replaced wasn't bad, but I'd rather not take any chances.