PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Guidelines

William
02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Reputation Guidelines
Here are some guidelines that are meant to prevent misuse of the reputation system:

# Reputation points are to be given for post that are extra good and valuable for the community in some way.

# Reputation points should be given in the thread it is intended for.

# Reputation points are not supposed to be given for actions outside the public forum, If someone helps you via PM, Email or in another way, send them a gift not reputation because that is not what the reputation system is meant for. This is due to the fact that rep should be given for things that benefit the entire community and that are available to the entire community

Members who are suspected to misuse of the system or use it in a way that it was not intended can have their reputation power reduced or removed. This will still allow the user to use all other parts of the forum. It will just restrict the possibility of giving rep.

Serious offense may result in a ban.

VoidParadigm
02-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Fair ducks.

Thanks for the clear-up!

Wild Turkey
02-18-2010, 07:13 PM
A good idea and probably long over-due. Thanks will!

VoidParadigm
02-18-2010, 07:19 PM
What would be considered a "serious offence" anyways?

William
02-18-2010, 07:29 PM
That will be judged from case to case but you are unlikely to commit one by accident. A serious offence might as an example be if you keep reping people that no longer post, if you are involved in rep exchange schemes etc.

VoidParadigm
02-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Ah, fair enough. Didn't think of that. Thanks!

Cristoff
02-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm not wishing to offend anyone here, but what about "rep" could possibly be so important here that one would work up a "reputation scheme"?

I mean rep is a fun add-on to the site; and I thank everyone that has liked my postings enough to give some to me, but unless there is a check of some sort that is based on rep points I just can't see why anyone would take it that seriousley.

souly
02-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Also, why would we have the ability to buy rep in the store?

Algenco
02-18-2010, 08:14 PM

if I remember correctly it's only temporary, but I agree no need for it

William
02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm not wishing to offend anyone here, but what about "rep" could possibly be so important here that one would work up a "reputation scheme"?

Agreed but we have seen it before.

William
02-18-2010, 08:21 PM

To be honest I hadn’t noticed that option. It has been removed. So has the option to buy rep related options that you already got as a default on this forum.

souly
02-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah some of the store items were already defualts which I thought was odd. Like changing the user images....

William
02-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes there might still be some left. I wil look through all options later today.

gm72
02-18-2010, 10:35 PM

I mean rep is a fun add-on to the site; and I thank everyone that has liked my postings enough to give some to me, but unless there is a check of some sort that is based on rep points I just can't see why anyone would take it that seriousley.

You'd be amazed, trust us. Ridiculous people doing ridiculous things.

Scrup
02-18-2010, 10:57 PM
So if we give people Rep and it is not considered valuable by a Mod, we can lose our rep?
Just looking for clarification, as this could have a big impact on people giving rep. (I personally will no longer give it unless it is some phenominal informative post if I am understanding the new rules correctly)

Again not trying to stir the pot or anything, just wanting to know if by valuable if it is on a personal level, like , "well put reply to XXX" (which could be valuable to the community) or if its something like only give rep when you can say- "good job eliminating all disease from all fish ever".

That make any sense at all?

Am I just overthinking this? Should I just carry on as normal?

james20
02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
So if we give people Rep and it is not considered valuable by a Mod, we can lose our rep?
Just looking for clarification, as this could have a big impact on people giving rep. (I personally will no longer give it unless it is some phenominal informative post if I am understanding the new rules correctly)

Again not trying to stir the pot or anything, just wanting to know if by valuable if it is on a personal level, like , "well put reply to XXX" (which could be valuable to the community) or if its something like only give rep when you can say- "good job eliminating all disease from all fish ever".

That make any sense at all?

\

Am I just overthinking this? Should I just carry on as normal?

I agree with you.

William
02-18-2010, 11:23 PM
You are overthinking it. You will still decide what you think is rep worthy.

Odds are that you can just continue on as usuall unless you have a habit of giving rep for Pms, giving rep to the same friends each day no matter what or if they post etc. 99% of all memebrs will not be affected by this in any way.

Crispy
02-18-2010, 11:29 PM
The rep is a great feature and I would hate to see it any different. Agreed some have exploited this, but the majority of us really appreciate it. Good advice should get good rep. :ssmile:

William
02-19-2010, 12:07 AM
could not agree more

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Well put Crispy. I like what one teacher always used to say to me: "rules are not in place for the ones who abide by them, they are there to keep those in check who won't." The majority of the users on this site use the Rep system very well, it's the few that don't or the few that have abused it in the past that make this announcement necessary, and yes, there have been rep schemes in the past. Sad.
Thanks for the clarification William.

sheamurai
02-19-2010, 02:41 AM
"Rep schemes"??? Wow - you know you need to get a life when....

richberstler
02-20-2010, 02:26 AM
You are overthinking it. You will still decide what you think is rep worthy.

Odds are that you can just continue on as usuall unless you have a habit of giving rep for Pms, giving rep to the same friends each day no matter what or if they post etc. 99% of all memebrs will not be affected by this in any way.

Well put. While rep seems silly to some it's kind of like weighting advice from one person over another. This can be important to anyone making a decision which will cost a lot of money or save fish etc. It's always nice to know who is "more in the know" when taking that type of advice.

Using this wisely can only help everyone.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-20-2010, 02:50 AM
While rep seems silly to some it's kind of like weighting advice from one person over another. This can be important to anyone making a decision which will cost a lot of money or save fish etc. It's always nice to know who is "more in the know" when taking that type of advice.

Sadly due to misuse of the system, this isn't the case anymore.

William, is there a way to remove the ability to give rep in certain forums? (ie. Chatterbox)

richberstler
02-20-2010, 02:55 AM
Sadly due to misuse of the system, this isn't the case anymore.

William, is there a way to remove the ability to give rep in certain forums? (ie. Chatterbox)

Maybe there is some value here as well. Good people give good advice, meaning they mean well. Just a thought....

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-20-2010, 02:59 AM
True, but good intentions doesn't equal good advice.

KingFisher
05-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Time for a bump.

Triton
01-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Just thought with all the talk about the rep button id bump this to remind newer members of the guidelines for rep

WhistlingBadger
05-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Can I give Triton rep for bumping this thread? :hmm3grin2orange:

Triton
05-16-2014, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't say no ;)

WhistlingBadger
10-03-2018, 12:16 PM
To get news from turkey follow this link. Daily local and national news from Turkey. I follow this sites for getting true an fast news.

Günlük yerel ve ulusal haberler için aşağıda ki bağlantıları takip edin . Ben takip ediyorum. oldukça faydalı.

<a href=”https://www.blokhaber.com/” >www.blokhaber.com/</a>

:spamcan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o

Slaphppy7
10-03-2018, 01:21 PM
It's taken care of...

WhistlingBadger
10-03-2018, 02:02 PM
Always good to have an excuse to listen to the Spam song, though.

Slaphppy7
10-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Indeed, lol

Taurus
10-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Indeed Just to make you feel special...

Slaphppy7
10-03-2018, 03:33 PM
LOL....thanks Larry