PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with cabomba

wlepse
02-18-2010, 12:47 AM
I bought a few bunches a while back and noticed after a few weeks that they were looking a little wimpy and the distance between nodes seemed to be getting bigger. I did some reading and saw that it was likely I needed some CO2 to help them grow. After doing the CO2 I noticed the distance between new nodes was around 1/4" vs 1" or more, they were sending runners down to the gravel to anchor and often new shoots were forming from the gravel.

So I thought I was on the right path but I just can't seem to keep them in one piece. At first I thought the fish were picking them apart but I have yet to see a fish pick at the stem and I keep getting soft stems and eventually they break off. Often when they break off the remaining piece in the substrate doesn't grow anymore but the extra shoot will start to grow. Now I am noticing they are turning slightly yellow in places and I am left wondering what I am doing wrong or not supplying.

Tank has a mix of eco complete substrate and small river stone, pH is currently around 7.8, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate has recently gone to 10ppm, GH is 16 and KH is 13.

Any recommendations? I really like this plant, especially the way it moves with the current. It seems so peaceful.

rich311k
02-18-2010, 12:49 AM
How much light do you have?

smaug
02-18-2010, 12:52 AM
The combo of a high KH and a higher ph can make this plant a bit picky for you.They like soft water and a lower ph.I kept them for awhile with a 6.5 ph and a kh of 3 and a light output of 280 watts.They looked nice but were still a bit dirtier then I like and cabomba is always a bit fragile this way.The needles shed and the stems break easily.The best tank for them is a softwater tank with very little water movement and no large fish to touch it or otherwise jostle it.Other then that it is a fantastic plant.

wlepse
02-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Have a home made lighting setup with (4) 26W compact flourencent bulbs, tank is a 37 gallon. It has the same footprint as a 29 just a little taller.

Is there a reason it would stop growing after it broke but allow its shoot to continue to grow? Do I need fertilizers since they are turning a little yellow? If these are going to be tough for me to keep is there something similar that you could recommend that would work in my water?

smaug
02-18-2010, 01:13 AM
There is hornwort but it is just as messy but needs less demanding conditions and actually prefers harder water.As for fert for the cabamba, pottasium and phosphourous are good for them.As for the plant stopping growing after a break,it should actually sprout side shoots just below a break so if its not doing that then some liquid ferts should help.I would start with something simple such as leaf zone or flourish.

rich311k
02-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Do you have it planted close together or spread out. I could be the hardness of the water, it could be not enough light getting to the bottom of the plants or could be a lack of nutrients. It is likely a combo of all 3.

wlepse
02-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Do you have it planted close together or spread out. I could be the hardness of the water, it could be not enough light getting to the bottom of the plants or could be a lack of nutrients. It is likely a combo of all 3.
Plants are about 2-3" apart currently (at base of stem). I guess I would be surprised if it was a light issue since the part that keeps growing is the new shoot which is a few inches below the top that just broke off. So if the break can't get enough light I don't think the shoot could either. I guess I will try some ferts and see what happens, I was just concerned about using them since I don't want the algae to take off.

smaug
02-18-2010, 01:55 AM
Plants are about 2-3" apart currently (at base of stem). I guess I would be surprised if it was a light issue since the part that keeps growing is the new shoot which is a few inches below the top that just broke off. So if the break can't get enough light I don't think the shoot could either. I guess I will try some ferts and see what happens, I was just concerned about using them since I don't want the algae to take off.
Thats why I recomend using it sparingly.

Kevin.W
04-03-2010, 02:47 AM
I purchased some cambomba about 1.5 months ago. I spaced them about 2" apart to make a sort of forest for my whisker shrimp to hide a bit. I have a 29 gallon tank and have 1 daylight bulb. Not even 1 watt per gallon, but I do have a good eco system set up. The plants were about 5";s when purchased..they are not almost touching the top of the water so they have easily doubled in size. Not yellow and not losing needles. i do see the fish occasionally picking at them. The water I believe is fairly hard too. Maybe I am just lucky but they are growing awesome.

AdrienDeLaChicago
05-15-2010, 09:27 AM
I bought some cabomba and it is doing somewhat okay. After reading this post I guess my problem is that my water is pretty alkaline and my water is also very hard.

Thanks for this post. I learned a lot. I'm going to get some Leaf Zone from API as I hear it's good and may keep some Flourish on hand as well.