PDA

View Full Version : Ok I've got my tank setup...

bellasly
05-01-2007, 12:59 PM
So far the tank is going good.

I've got a 5.5 gallon, with a 15 W light
Penguin 100 biowheel filter (i'm impressed with how quiet it is)
Regular Grey stone gravel
2 silk plant
a few decorative marbles
I added some chemicals that came with the tank, some dechlorinator/dechlorimanator, and some live bacteria to get the process started. The tank also came with flake fish food, so I added a pinch to get the waste started until I can get some ammonia (today) to start a fishless cycle.
My husband is picking me up a heater today and I'm also going to get the testing kit today If I can find one near my house (we had to go to another town to get everything yesterday as my husband doesn't trust walmart for pet stuff). So everything is going well so far.

On a funny note, my husband was dead set against getting a fish (no more animals!!) until he saw the crowntail bettas at the aquarium store. He's so excited to get one now because he saw them flaring!!!

Anyway, If you have anymore suggestions, pass them along this way!!

Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Not much to add here. Sounds like you got your thinking cap on straight. Kudo's for doing a cycle before adding the betta. The tank is small so shouldn't take long.

I was shocked at the price of testing kits at the store. I ordered mine from PetSmart for $14 but at their store, the same kit was more than twice that. Normal, I suppose, since they have a store to pay for, electric bills and employees. I order a lot online due to the fact I live in an area where there is nothing but order several things at once to make up for the postage.

I've asked WalMarts if they would carry the liquid test kits but of course they wouldn't. Their moneys in the paper strips for $10 for a few tests.

If money is tight right now, you could start the cycle without the test kit. Add a t. of ammonia for now then in 3 days or so, add a bit more. At least you're getting the process going. A bit too much ammonia is not a big deal and you don't have to be perfectly at 5. on the test kit. My last two cycles I added to 8. (I don't measure) All it did was keep me from adding more for a few days longer. It's not a perfect science and you're not required to be perfect in measuring.

Personally, with only one betta in a 5 gallon tank I would go with the strips altho I hate them. With more fish and more tanks, obviously the kits would be more financially smart to get but with one fish....not. You might not get perfect results but you will see about how much ammonia and nitrites you have. I can't see you paying more for a test kit for one fish than for the whole tank.

Your fish store may test your water for you in a week

Incredulous_Ed
05-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Sounds like your doing a good job, be sure to keep the temp at 80.

bellasly
05-01-2007, 07:35 PM
It must be pretty warm in my place because I don't have a heater in my tank and my thermometer says its 82...I'm still getting one, just in case.

Incredulous_Ed
05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
That would be a good idea.

Rue
05-01-2007, 10:16 PM
That's quite warm...always nice to have the thermometre though...generally the factory setting is 76F...you might want to leave it set at that...just so it never drops below...

Drumachine09
05-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a penguin biowheel 100 too! I love em!. They are so quiet, i dont ever hear them run. Sure does a great job on my 10 gallon, so it should be awesome on your 5.