PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Barb health

Justyn
02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Hello,

I have 2 yellow Barbs in my tank and they have been around for years and are very hardy and wonderful fish.

But just recently and very suddenly 1 of them has developed a large and nasty looking red growth on the side of his face just below the eye.

All of the other fish in the tank seem fine so I am wondering if maybe it is an infection caused by injury as there are a couple of pieces of bark in the tank and maybe he has bashed himself on that?

Any thoughts or ideas from anyone who has experienced something similar or any treatment ideas would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Justyn

Pot Puffer
02-03-2010, 06:47 PM
im pretty new too keepin fish myself, but if what your dealin with is a red open wound then maybe melafix could help. but like i said im still kind of a rookie ive just seen melafix work well for open wounds white spots fin rot, and it also encourages fin renewal. also ask around and get a few more opinions see what others have too say about it.

Northernguy
02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree with the melafix.
Keep your water pristine with lots of water changes.
It does sound infected.
Have you another tank you could treat it in?

William
02-03-2010, 11:39 PM
A picture might help as it could be a number of things but without knowing more the aboce suggestions might be a good first treatment. Also how long is "for years". Barbs usually live 3-5 years (sometimes longer) so it might have a weakened immune system due to old age and than it will be hard to do anything about it in the long run.

Justyn
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies, all very helpful and all much appreciated! I will give the Melafix a try and see how it goes!

Here is a picture of the poor bugger anyway!

Many thanks

Justyn

http://www.pixelaspect.co.uk/images/yellowbarb.jpg