PDA

View Full Version : Ph myths??

lt1kenobi
01-29-2010, 08:16 PM
So I've had my silver Arowana now for two years or so. I got him when he was about ten inches long and now he's a solid 16-18". I keep him in a 75 gallon w/3 larger african cichlids. I just now started going online to read up on tank setups. I've been an avid aquarium person for several years now. My thoughts are ... my arowana has been doing great in the ph level from 7.9-8.1 which is totally opposite what MOST websites say they will survive and live well in. What gives?

Red
01-29-2010, 08:19 PM
A 75gal is way to small, you need a 200+ to keep a arowana of any type. (some may disagree) I would expect him to be bigger then he is now, and I think that is because he is in a 75 gallon. That would be my first worry before the PH problem.

lt1kenobi
01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
I hear where you are coming from. That seems to be what some people think.. I have however seen many arowanas far larger than mine in 90 and 120 gallon tanks living for years. I don't want to turn this into a debate about how the fish live out in the wild... its like comparing a wild dog to a puppy from a breeder.. these fish have been bred and living in captivity for years now and I'm sure they have evolved to be just fine in smaller tanks. On that we can agree to disagree... I just don't understand why so many websites say that they can't survive or do well in higher ph... I think many sites get their info from actual water samples where wild fish live.

annageckos
01-29-2010, 08:58 PM
A 75 is too small. Just because it seems to be fine to you does not mean that it should be kept in that small of a tank. About the ph. The perfered ph my be lower but a stable ph, in most cases is better then trying to get the ph lower and ending up with ph swings.

james20
01-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Yes, a 75 is too small but fish can naturally adapt to a Ph slightly out of their range.

Amazon
01-30-2010, 12:13 AM
have you ever studied the skeletal structure of the fish. the only way that fish can live in a 75 is if it developed a smaller skeletal structure. And us as humans have been bred to live in small houses and sleep in rooms but we dont prefer to live in closets either, we would eventually get depressed and get sick and die. And have you ever seen how excited a dog gets when you let it outside? Not trying to debate just stating the truth.thumbs2:

lt1kenobi
01-30-2010, 12:46 AM
have you ever studied the skeletal structure of the fish. the only way that fish can live in a 75 is if it developed a smaller skeletal structure. And us as humans have been bred to live in small houses and sleep in rooms but we dont prefer to live in closets either, we would eventually get depressed and get sick and die. And have you ever seen how excited a dog gets when you let it outside? Not trying to debate just stating the truth.thumbs2:

You aren't really stating the truth.. just assumptions... have you examined the skeletal structures of farm raised arowanas? Have you any REAL statistics to back up your claims. I can understand a wild caught fish having problems adapting.. but these aren't wild caught. Sure if you stuck a human that was 6ft tall into a closet he would get depressed.. but here is your huckleberry .. look at the Egyptians, I've been to the pyramids in giza and let me tell you .. if you are more than 5ft you have to duck all the way through but they were a thriving civilization. As stated in my intro post.. I'm guessing by responses and some more research on here that most think they are experts and many seem like peta members. I'll stick it out as long as I can .. but from reading some stuff on here it makes me want to stay away from this forum and keep going w/what has worked for me in the real world. :hmm3grin2orange:

Cristoff
01-30-2010, 12:55 AM
The answer to your question is that while it's BESt to keep the PH levels close to the natural habitat, most healthy fish can adapt to different levels

I have never really worried about the PH levels too much. I acclimate new fish VERY slowly and keep the PH stable in my tanks and that's about it.

As far as the size of the tank, that is up to you and I will NOT comment on it as I'm personally not a fan of Arrowanas and know little about their needs. I do know they get very big and that's about it.

Amazon
01-30-2010, 01:39 AM
First thing, every single time I get a new fish i study its structure, it can tell you a lot of stuff about it. Silver Arowanas for example have a long slender body structure and an extremely long dorsal fin meaning they are fast, most likely a predator, and either hang close to the bottom or surface of the water. For example a goby generally has a long slender body structure and it lives on the bottom, as Arowanas live on the top. Most long slender fish have to have a lot of either surface or bottom space. Gobys need mostly ground space while Arowanas need lots of surface space just as they do in the wild. i study taxonomy and coming up with scientific names is not a easy process, you have to study the structure, color, and origin of the fish.

Next, the Egyptians could freely get out of the pyramids, they could walk out and have the whole country of Egypt to walk through.

Third the farm raised arowanas have absolutely no differance in structure than the wild ones. taht would take millions of years to be happen.

Next i can promise anyone that fish in the wild are more successful than any of the ones in our tank. If they werent theyd be dead. If you take a look at natural reefs millions of corals reproduce every time the moon is at the right spot. How many times do they reproduce in our tanks? For most people extremely rarely. mimicing the fish's natural environment is the key to success in a tank. its like putting you on Mars, you would not be so happy.
Oh and Im not trying to make you leave im just trying to help, my way of helping is by stating true tested events so please dont tell us that we think we know everything when you dont even know us.:22:

As for your ph, most fish can adapt to ph relatively well. The worst problems youll have is maybe a little color change but it should be fine.