PDA

View Full Version : pls suggest for a 55

Chris24
01-28-2010, 06:25 AM
well i just moved my 5" rainbow shark from a 10g to a 55g, and i think its looking awefully lonely in there...

im not familiar at all with the many different species of fish out there, please help me out!

im specificly looking for a predator or two. if itll eat little shrimp or bugs that is cool, if itll eat small/tiny fish even cooler.

some people have told me oscars and chichlids, i dont really like the looks of them. some pike cichlids looked allright i guess, but i really want things that stand out and appear to really be strange or exotic.

lol, i though i found the perfect fish for me in the red arrowana...until i saw the price tags! LOL. i didnt know whether to laugh or cry.

the silver ones are okay, i like the fins on the reds better though. im also worried the silver will get too big. half the time i hear you need tanks bigger than 55, other people say they only get 24". ive seen youtube vids of bigger ones though...idk.

also looking for suggestions of anything unusual or exotic, doesnt need to be predetory. for example i really liked these dragonfish gobies i saw at the store, sadly i dont think they will work out too well with the rainbow shark. is this correct?

yea i like eels, or things with dorsal fins...black, red, whites, silver etc.. im not into fat, round fish, gray or browns..etc

oh...i also am thinking of getting some black and silver mollies to go in this tank, but they can go into the 10g, or another tank a 20t that i can setup.

thank you AQ COM ppl! :)

brianyu
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
wow red arowana in ur LFS ? that cool, i never see them here .. oscar is not a bad choice , what is your filtration ?

Lukenasia
01-28-2010, 09:28 AM
A fully grown Oscar needs a 75Gal at the bare minimum in my opinion.

Arowanas, when you heard they can grow to 24" then you'd be right, fully grown silver Arowanas need at least 200gal aquariums, most people here would even frown apon the idea of a 55g grow out tank!

For a 55g there isn't much preditory you could put in there. You could get away with a single Jack Dempsey (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/jackdempsey.php) Along with a smaller Pleco of some kind.

lg0815
01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
try a dinasour eel is what its called commonly

they sell them at petsmart for 5.99 but there tiny like 2 inches

segnel bichir is what its really called

heres a link
http://freshwaterfishingtechniques.blogspot.com/2009/10/keeping-dinosaur-eels-bichirs-in.html
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile41.html

i have a full grown one in a 55 its very nice thay eat guppies to

William
01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
How about a small snakehead species like bleheri.

toddnbecka
01-29-2010, 05:09 AM
African butterfly fish are exotic-looking surface dwellers. They'll eat small fish (and anything else that will fit into their large mouths) as well as floating pellets. They're also partial to insects like flies and moths in warmer weather.