PDA

View Full Version : Baby Silver Arowanas - Fighting?

Kaya
01-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Hi. I've recently purchased 2 Silver Arowana (approx 5 to 6 cms) and house them in a 30 gallon tank. I already have a 14" Silver Arowana in a 300 Gallon tank. I've read about Silvers fighting with each other and it looks like the case with the recently purchased babies. One of them (surprisingly the smaller one bullies the lil larger one) rules the top and the other is pushed to the bottom. Could anyone suggest what i should do.. A) add one or two more silver arowana of the same size to ease the bullying or B) move one of the arowanas to another 30 gallon tank. Please let me know. Cheers. Thanks in Advance.

Crispy
01-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Even at such a small size, I'd say they need a bigger tank. Housing them seperately would be good, but introducing them when they are bigger is recipe for disaster.

Kaya
01-18-2010, 07:36 AM
@Crispy - thanks Crispy. I'm actually planning on constructing a 2600 gallon tank (concrete + 30 mm glass) in the near future and plan to house these arowana in the same. With the adequate amount of space there do you think it'd still be a problem when they get bigger?

Crispy
01-18-2010, 07:45 AM
@Crispy - thanks Crispy. I'm actually planning on constructing a 2600 gallon tank (concrete + 30 mm glass) in the near future and plan to house these arowana in the same. With the adequate amount of space there do you think it'd still be a problem when they get bigger?

2600 gallon? I think you'll be fine with a group of aros in there. :ssmile:

Kaya
01-18-2010, 08:21 AM
:) yup thats a project by the end of this year.. i'm doing my background work on filtration and heating setups for this at the moment.. hey one more quick thing.. as you said they are fine in groups.. do you still think if i get a couple more into this tank would that sorta disperse the aggression? i've also read that a group of 3 or 5 or more they are generally ok..or do you firmly believe its the best to move them to different tanks and keep just one aro in each for now..

Crispy
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
If you had a 6ft grow out tank I would say get 5 aros. With a 30g? One (and he will outgrow this tank very quickly). It is easier to make groups of aros get along when small definitely, but a 30 will just not cut it.

Why not wait until your project is near completion to get the aros?

gm72
01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Agreed with Crispy. Please don't add any more fish until you are ready to house them in the proper environment.

Northernguy
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!

I also agree with waiting!
There is no need to be in a rush to get those fish without a proper setting to keep them.

Kaya
01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
@crispy /gm72 /northernguy - hey guys, agreed.. i've split them into 2 different tanks for now.. :) thanks for the advice.. cheers

gm72
01-21-2010, 12:17 AM
That's great news. Please keep us posted though, I know I speak for us all that we will be eager to see pictures of the monster tank build!