PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cherry Barbs

llonka
01-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Hello all!! I am new to this forum!! I have a question about cherry barbs. how many would i be able to put in a ten gallon tank?? we are thinking about getting a tank, and i have been looking up different fish you can keep at home. i found some info on cherry barbs and think they look pretty neat!! i just want to make sure i know how to take care of them before we get any.
right now i have two bettas and that's all i have ever kept.
Thanks in advance!

Lab_Rat
01-04-2010, 08:21 AM
You could do a school of 6 cherry barbs in a 10g.

Welcome to the forum.

Oscar_freak12321
01-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here! If you have any questions at any time, this is the place to come! thumbs2: Welcome aboard! And to answer your question on cherry barbs, a school of 5 or 6 would work in a 10 gallon. :22:

Northernguy
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
I agree that a small school would be good in a ten.
Here is some info on them for you.http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/cherrybarb.php
You said you have two bettas.Are they in their own tanks?

annageckos
01-04-2010, 04:19 PM
A school of six would work out great. Good luck and Welcome!!

Red
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Agreed..
Welcome!

Wild Turkey
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Another +1 for 3-6 in a ten gallon. They tend to not school as much as other fish ime, but hang out in small groups of 3 or so. 1 male for every two females is what I recommend, and the groups seem to form up as such.

Welcome!

llonka
01-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh ok!! thanks guys!! i may end up doing that if i talk hubby into it!! so do they really need lots of plants in the tank? i even read somewhere that they like the plants to reach all the way to the surface of the water.

Yes, my two bettas have their own tanks. Squiggy is a purple/white veiltail and Sushi is a blue veiltail, sometimes he looks green, sometimes he looks purple. :1luvu:

also, in the petshop how to tell male and females apart? would they keep them together in one tank?? thanks for the fast reply too!! you guys are great!!!

Wild Turkey
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Oh ok!! thanks guys!! i may end up doing that if i talk hubby into it!! so do they really need lots of plants in the tank? i even read somewhere that they like the plants to reach all the way to the surface of the water.

Yes, my two bettas have their own tanks. Squiggy is a purple/white veiltail and Sushi is a blue veiltail, sometimes he looks green, sometimes he looks purple. :1luvu:

also, in the petshop how to tell male and females apart? would they keep them together in one tank?? thanks for the fast reply too!! you guys are great!!!

With these guys its easy, males are red females are yellow/orange. Usually they are in the same tank

llonka
01-04-2010, 11:57 PM
ok!! so i will prolly have to be picky about which ones i want. trying to talk hubby into it now haha. might go look at fish tomorrow and hope he likes them too!!!

they need a heater and a filter right?? and should i use live plants or are plastic ok?

Garrett
01-05-2010, 12:56 AM
You definitely need a heater and filter, I'd look at an AC20 for the filter. Heater isn't a biggie, a basic 10-15 dollar model should be completely suitable unless you keep your windows open in the winter. In Maine.

Real plants are almost always better, but they're a little daunting to new fishkeepers. I heartily recommend them, but it's up to you. Make sure you do a little bit of research before you buy the plants, to make sure you're buying stuff that's easy to care for. Anubias, hornwort, amazon swords java moss, or java fern are some examples of stuff you want, but there are others.

That said, plastic's fine too.

llonka
01-05-2010, 02:25 AM
ahh!! ok! lol who leaves their windows open in Maine?? i will look into live plants, i've always wanted to try them. thanks!! i'm excited!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: