PDA

View Full Version : New to plants, need some advice please

Cliff
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I am in need of some advice about stemmed plants.

I took almost two months cycling my 55 gal tank. Once all looked good, I moved the gravel to the side and added about a inch of fluorite substriate and covered with the gravel. I only did this to the one half of the tank I was planning to add plants in. Although I thought I washed the substriate well enough, it did cloud the water slightly. Once that was complete I added two different stemmed plants. I removed them from the little pots they were in and planted directly in the gravel / substriate. I also placed a fertilizer stick near each plant. After one week with the plants in the tank, I started to add the fish. My guys have been in the tank for 5 days now.

Iím concerned about how the plants look. The top few leaves are a brighter green than the lower parts of the plant. I took one branch off one of the plants and all the leaves (both shades of green) look and feel healthy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

smaug
01-03-2010, 12:36 AM
They are simply reacting to the better quality /intensity of the light toward the surface.The better light the more compact they will stay.To combat this simply trim the top best looking part from the more spindly lower and replant the upper.As for the fert sticks,they really dont work well for stem plants as stems pull there nutrients from the water column.The "roots" they do have are more for anchoring.

Cliff
01-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll trim and replant tonight

Cliff
02-13-2010, 06:22 PM
They are simply reacting to the better quality /intensity of the light toward the surface.The better light the more compact they will stay.To combat this simply trim the top best looking part from the more spindly lower and replant the upper.As for the fert sticks,they really dont work well for stem plants as stems pull there nutrients from the water column.The "roots" they do have are more for anchoring.

Smaug, I took your advise and started trimming the plants. As the top parts had roots coming out of the stems I replanted them on the other size of the tank. I donít remember the name of these plants, but when I looked them up they had a higher tolerance to different light levels.

Since then I also got feedback from other posted to increase the amount of light. So I added a second 55 watt dual T5 light fixture.

These plants are now starting to grow to fast. Iím going have to find some friends to start taking the clipping some if this keeps up. Iíve even added some Java ferns. I think my fish really like the tank better now as there is a lot more hiding spots for them.

Thank you all for your advise

smaug
02-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Good for you.Its always great when the plants start looking good enough to justify the pain they can be.