PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with cherry barbs?

abraham3660
12-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I am looking into getting a school of cherry barbs, and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I am also wondering if they are mean or nippy to other fish. Thank You.

bigbad-ratman
12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
i had a school of 8. they were pretty peaceful. the only time i saw them all was feeding time. seemed like the just stayed hidden together.

Lab_Rat
12-28-2009, 11:18 PM
They're not a very nippy barb. A proper sized school should be fine in a community tank.

little hawaii
12-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I am looking into getting a school of cherry barbs, and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I am also wondering if they are mean or nippy to other fish. Thank You.

Yes I've done some breeding of Cherrys. They are some of my fav. barbs and I never had any bullying problems. They are a little timid and like plant cover to scavenge in. They are easy to breed and a school of a few hundred looks awesome. Your LPS will probably buy local if he can.:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

gadget228
12-29-2009, 12:00 AM
I had a school of 6 cherry barbs and they were great, unfortunately I lost them when I added too many fish at the same time. Can tell you that tiger barb's pick on them, gold gourami also will pick on them. My mistake and a lesson rolled into one... :scry:

James77
12-29-2009, 01:10 AM
I have 3 cherry's along with 5 tiger's in my community. The cherry's are very peaceful and hide alot. The tiger's are not nippy at all to my other fish. Actually I had to get 2 more tiger's to bring my shaol up to 5 so the Zebra danios would quit picking on them. That did the trick no all my fish are happy and getting along. But where I purchased my fish The tiger's and the cherries were in the same tank together so they already all know each other. The alpha male in my whole tank is a big male cherry. No one messes with him and he's already took over the empty car at the bottom of my tank.

gadget228
12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I have 3 cherry's along with 5 tiger's in my community. The cherry's are very peaceful and hide alot. The tiger's are not nippy at all to my other fish. Actually I had to get 2 more tiger's to bring my shaol up to 5 so the Zebra danios would quit picking on them. That did the trick no all my fish are happy and getting along. But where I purchased my fish The tiger's and the cherries were in the same tank together so they already all know each other. The alpha male in my whole tank is a big male cherry. No one messes with him and he's already took over the empty car at the bottom of my tank.

You may want to add 3 more cherry barb's, they do better when their a school of 6 or more.

I like them so much that when I get my 75 set up I'm going to add a larger school, 20-30 of them. :ssmile:

James77
12-29-2009, 01:29 PM
So far the cherries are my best fish. Very peaceful.

Garrett
12-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Big fan of cherry barbs. Have a shoal in my tank that needs a bit of perking up-they suffered a bit from an ich outbreak a month or two ago-but they're probably the gentlest fish I have.

James77
12-30-2009, 02:15 AM
If I could add more Cherries I would but I don't have the room.

Chrisinator
12-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Cherry Barbs are awesome fish! I think they were the first batch of fish I added for my 10G. Ich came down though about 6 months later and got the best of them. But everything else was fine with them. I've seen eggs when they breed but I didn't take the time to get them.

Perfect fish if you like having fish that don't school together-- not nippy at all and extremely peaceful, aside from possibly feeding.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Cherry Barbs are awesome fish, and if you are lucky enough to find a good blood line, you will see some of the most incredible color in the cyprinid family. Sadly, they are so over bred, the normal color available is more pink than red.

James77
12-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I foung a really good pet store, it's more of a mom and pop store and they have excellent fish. My Cherry's are a deep red.

Bellie816
01-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Can cherry barbs live in a 10 gallon? A school of 6 of them with some ghost shrimp?

gadget228
01-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Can cherry barbs live in a 10 gallon? A school of 6 of them with some ghost shrimp?

I have the same question as you, check this site's recommendation,

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=20&AquTankDepth=10&AquTankHeight=12&AquListBoxFilter=Aqua-Tech+10-20&AquTextFilterRate=13+&AquListBoxFilter2=Other&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Ghost+Shrimp+%28Palaemonetes+sp. %29&AquTextBoxQuantity=3&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300041%3A6%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2

Note the filter I picked is rather small, it is an old one that I had laying around.

Garrett
01-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Honestly, if they were the only fish in the tank? I don't see a problem, should be ok. Definitely need adequate filtration, of course, but that almost goes without saying.