PDA

View Full Version : golden dove loach, anyone?

jfd
04-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I have kuhlis and am a big fan and saw a golden dove loach at the store. He or she is doing great but I only have the info the store said which was that it would get along fine in my tank -temp, tankmates and food. I can't find any more info. Do they need friends like kuhlis?

Lady Hobbs
04-21-2007, 02:11 PM
I have not heard of this loach but it is sooooo common for a store to tell you something is compatible with something else and it turns out to be false. You need to do your own research because usually they know SQUAT!

I would love to see a picture of one, tho, if you come across one.

willisrad
04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Hrm. Never heard of a golden dove.
Is it a Dojo loach that they decided to "rename?"

Drumachine09
04-21-2007, 02:21 PM
I googled it, and there are some pictures of golden dojo/weather loaches. They almost look albino in some strains.

Lady Hobbs
04-21-2007, 03:22 PM
I saw that, as well, but nothing called Golden Dove. Funny how we all jump into the "research mode" the second we hear of something new. LOL

jfd
04-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I googled dojo loach and there he was 2nd picture down. Mine is albino looking--I am somewhat dismayed at the information I recieved--they do like another loach but they like the temp to be 50-68 and mine is 76. I go to the same store everytime because they seem to be knowledgable--I guess they really don't care so much for the fish. The fish seems very healthy and is eating well-what should I do?

Rue
04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Keep an eye on him...if he's doing well, don't panic about the temperature...

I have one in my goldfish tank...at ~ 64-68 F and he's doing very well...I might still get him a friend when I move them all over to the 55g tank...

jfd
04-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I just browsed a couple more sites and read articles saying my temp is fine for my golden friend. I'm so confused.

Rue
04-21-2007, 11:05 PM
They're definately a coldwater fish...from the same part of the China that goldfish originate from...which is why they're one of the few fish that can be housed with goldies...

...but many fish are hardy and will adjust to conditions outside of the norm...which is why I suggested just to keep an eye out on him...

...be careful which sites you're getting info. from...stick to the fish sites vs. the pet sites...many errors on the pet sites...