PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barb Variants -- School Together or Not?

Deleted User
12-11-2009, 10:04 PM
We have tiger barbs and they do well in the tanks we've kept them in. Currently, we have them in with our blood parrots.

Ours are "regular" tiger barbs (my favorites), but if we wanted to add some albino ones to this tank, would they school with our regular ones, or would it be basically like adding a different type of fish all together?

Thanks for your input!

mommy1
12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
they are color varients of the same fish, they will school together.

Deleted User
12-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks, mommy1! I may go on and get some for a little more variety in the tank thumbs2:

hari-goshi
12-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Many people have had success getting the different color varients to school. I didnt have much luck with it. I had six of each (regular/green/orange) and they all stayed with their respective groups. They didnt cause any problems it just wasnt the type of interaction I was hoping for.

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for telling me your experience. I was wanting some more variety if they'd school but sounds like my best bet it to stick w/ one kind. Thanks for chiming in!

Wild Turkey
12-13-2009, 10:40 AM
98% of the time they will school together, especially if you include only one or two of one variant. I have seen instances where they seem to "understand" the difference between their own variant and the others, I cant explain anymore than that without 5 paragraphs but for the most part, they are just big group of tbs, dont be afraid to try a different variant to give your school some sazz if thats what you are looking for, especially since it can sometimes be hard to find good tb tankmates.

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you, too, WT. Maybe I'll go on and get some and see what happens. The only possible "targets" for their aggression are other tiger barbs since I doubt they'll tangle too long with our Blood Parrots (though of course those can do little harm in reality -- they're just massively larger). I thought it would look neat to have 5 or so albino ones in our tiger barb school, but not if there would be a "white school" and a "striped school" :ssmile: