PDA

View Full Version : Post count change

William
11-24-2009, 06:55 PM
As of late we have recieved a lot of PMs that think it is unfair that you get awards (and increase your post count) by posting in thet chatterbox. We have also recieved complaint about people making more and more nonsens post in the chatterbox just to ramp up their post count.

We have therefore decided that post made in the chatterbox will no longer count towards your post count.

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, but it also surprises me that people are actually that .... I'm not even sure of the right word!

However, knowing that there was this speculation explains a few recent things to me. Hopefully this will keep everyone happy, even with people who enjoy chit-chatting more than others.

MCHRKiller
11-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Hopefully this will keep everyone happy, even with people who enjoy chit-chatting more than others.

Yes they do...

Nice idea Will:22:

robflanker
11-24-2009, 08:10 PM
If chatterbox doesn't count then nor should anything in the photo forum nor in announcements or thoughts & suggestions

We should be consistent if we are working on any 'non-fish' post is not worthy of being counted.

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 08:14 PM
You know, I'm pretty "darn" sure the people who have a problem with chit-chatty threads / posts counting really have a problem with me, not that forum in general.

If it would make them happy, it's fine if just my chit chat threads don't count. I really am just being myself and am not trying to stack the deck for getting awards sooner.

Maybe people should check out my resume / other activities before they assume I'd be worried enough to make up posts that I didn't care about for the purpose of racking up points or whatever.

Or, shoot... MAYBE they could have sent me a PM and let me know it was on their last nerve and we could have talked about it privately, or involved some of the mods privately to figure out what was what. That would have been nicer than blowing up part of the forum.

robflanker
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
No need for the soap box Jill - i'm not sure this is all about you

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
I kinda heard some rumors that the "blow up" of stupid threads was to mock the types of threads I've posted on the chit chat forum since I joined. I'd love it if it turned out not to be the case, but I do think that explosion of ridiculous thread the other night was to make fun of me. It's on pretty good authority, too (wish it weren't -- it hurt my feelings which is probably about the dumbest thing I've let happen recently).

robflanker
11-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Rumours are never a good way to base accusing all of AC of certain things nor assume that all changes are solely based off one's actions.

I do like the saying about what happens when you assume things....

Lolita
11-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Heard some rumors from who? I'm not even sure how rumors spread on a forum... everything's pretty black and white when it's typed out in front of you, isn't it?

bluebluecow
11-24-2009, 08:24 PM
ohh Jill big hugs, I dont think it was about you, but some people are very Immature at times on this forum

You are a great poster an I love some of your threads

Liz

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 08:24 PM
PM and from someone I wouldn't doubt.

If those threads weren't making fun of me, that's great. What were they about if not what I said?

mommy1
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I kinda heard some rumors that the "blow up" of stupid threads was to mock the types of threads I've posted on the chit chat forum since I joined. I'd love it if it turned out not to be the case, but I do think that explosion of ridiculous thread the other night was to make fun of me. It's on pretty good authority, too (wish it weren't -- it hurt my feelings which is probably about the dumbest thing I've let happen recently).

oh please can we stop the drama now. some of us had some silly fun. if you wanna take it personal thats not our problem.

robflanker
11-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I can't speak for threads I didn't make, so I won't venture a guess as to what they were about. I would suggest contacting the OP of each thread you are concerned about.

In addition, to further dispell any illusions you might have that this is all about you - i can think of a recent string of hangman threads and a thread about a rainbow bridge that might also be considered in this decision.

As I said, I don't believe this is all about you and I would suggest evaluating everything that has been posted before busting out the soap box

*edit - fixed a moronic spelling mistake lol*

mommy1
11-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I can't speak for threads I didn't make, so I won't venture a guess as to what they were about. I would suggest containing the OP of each thread you are concerned about.

In addition, to further dispell any illusions you might have that this is all about you - i can think of a recent string of hangman threads and a thread about a rainbow bridge that might also be considered in this decision.

As I said, I don't believe this is all about you and I would suggest evaluating everything that has been posted before busting out the soap box

well said rob!

Wild Turkey
11-24-2009, 08:28 PM
How about everyone gives it a rest for the forums sake? This is an announcement thread for crying out loud.

Lab_Rat
11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I can't speak for threads I didn't make, so I won't venture a guess as to what they were about. I would suggest containing the OP of each thread you are concerned about.

Well said!

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
oh please can we stop the drama now. some of us had some silly fun. if you wanna take it personal thats not our problem.
No, but a person's behavior is either their own problem or their own reason to feel proud.

CGY_Betta_Guy
11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
I suppose its a good idea since people posting information and advice to help others should be rewarded. However, I dont know about anyone else but I would say to the people that are worried about others increasing their post counts "unfairly":

Is there nothing else in the world that you should be more worried about??
Get off the internet and go outside and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air instead of living life in a virtual world. Maybe go rectify some true inequalities in life for people in your area (abused or sick kids come to mind) and do something beneficial for society as a whole rather than worrying about yours or someone else's post count on a public internet forum? Lets get a bit of perspective on what is important. Just my opinion. Lets move on..

Oh oh... oops... did I just increase my post count?... oh the audacity!!!

KingFisher
11-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I see this whole situation as the fact that it's ok for one person to do something, but when a lot of people start doing it, a problem is created. If removing the post count from the chatterbox cuts down on threads that appear to be created for no real reason but for the sake of posting, then I am all for it. Thanks William for this change.

To Jill: I really don't think this is all about you. I have noticed a large increase in the number of senseless threads in the chatterbox lately from several people.

I like the chatterbox section. It allows members to post things that are important to them, whether it is to share their joy or sorrow, or just to share something interesting or funny. The fact that people will no longer get an increase in their post count will not effect these things, but I can see how it may discourage those who feel compelled to post senseless threads.

Lolita
11-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Jill,

Like Rob, as someone who wasn't posting the threads or was even around when it first happened, I can't speak for them... but I'll say this: I don't think it was about a person. I doubt it was done maliciously. I was under the impression that the posts were a way of getting the mods attention because of a surge of nonsense posts by many members around the forum as a whole.

Lolita
11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Call me crazy, Lolita, but when I want to get a Mod's attention about something, I send him or her a private message. It works every time.

It doesn't work every time Jill. Sometimes it takes a protest or a silly prank to get someone's attention--in real life and in situations like this. Things get overlooked, or a problem gets ignored because it doesn't seem so bad. But when someone is shown how bad a situation can get they act. You can't all ways go running to mommy and daddy, so to speak, and expect for things to be fixed.

Edit: I'm going to leave this here even though you deleted your post...

Cristoff
11-24-2009, 08:46 PM
If I may ask a stupid question:

Why does anyone care about their post count? It's not like anything life altering comes of it. To be honest with you, I had to look at my last post to even find out what my post count was.

It's the quality of the post that garners respect, not the sheer quantity. Some of the people I respect the most only post occasionally.

William
11-24-2009, 08:50 PM
First of Jill. This is not about you or any single individual.

If chatterbox doesn't count then nor should anything in the photo forum nor in announcements or thoughts & suggestions

I am considering making them same change for those as well but no decision has been made yet.

-Lp
11-24-2009, 08:51 PM
So it's moved from the Chatterbox to the Announcements, interesting. No worries here about post count, just look below my name!

BTW - has an Announcement thread ever been locked before?

robflanker
11-24-2009, 08:53 PM
BTW - has an Announcement thread ever been locked before?
Uh at least 3 - if you look in the annoucement forum...

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 08:54 PM
It doesn't work every time Jill. Sometimes it takes a protest or a silly prank to get someone's attention--in real life and in situations like this. Things get overlooked, or a problem gets ignored because it doesn't seem so bad. But when someone is shown how bad a situation can get they act. You can't all ways go running to mommy and daddy, so to speak, and expect for things to be fixed.

Edit: I'm going to leave this here even though you deleted your post...
I deleted my post when I decided it wasn't worth pursuing this discussion. However, since you insist, I will say it seems to me when people do something stupid that disrupts the normal course of the day for other people, maybe they should have some kind of repercussion or punishment. It's not up to you to decide if something is important to the mod team. You report or PM what is of issue to you, and if they feel it's really an issue, they WILL do something. It's up to them, not individual members or a group who's got their noses out of joint to stage a rally or whatever "that" was the other night.

gabbyguppy
11-24-2009, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=Cristoff It's the quality of the post that garners respect, not the sheer quantity. [/QUOTE]

Agree....well said.

Lolita
11-24-2009, 08:57 PM
I deleted my post when I decided it wasn't worth pursuing this discussion. However, it seems to me when people do something stupid that disrupts the normal course of the day for other people, maybe they should have some kind of reprocussion or punishment. It's not up to you to decide if something is important to the mod team. You report or PM what is of issue to you, and if they feel it's really an issue, they WILL do something. It's up to them, not individual members or a group who's got their noses out of joint to stage a rally or whatever "that" was the other night.

If that were true Jill, a lot of people wouldn't have basic civil rights. Women wouldn't be able to vote, etc etc. It's just not how the real world works.

-Lp
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Uh at least 3 - if you look in the annoucement forum...

Thanks Rob. Just my facetiousness coming out again. :)

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Lolita, this is an internet forum and my perspective is that we are GUESTS here. We're not citizens in a democratic nation known as the AC. If you want to discuss this with me any further, PM or email.

Lolita
11-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Lolita, this is an internet forum and my perspective is that we are GUESTS here. If you want to discuss this with me any further, PM or email.

Well it's my opinon that we are members here. We all contribute to this website, we don't just sit back and watch. If we see something we think is wrong I think it's right for someone to take a stand.

If I saw someone hit their child while I was visiting their home, I certainly wouldn't sit back and shut my mouth, then complain to my parents because I was a 'guest' in their house.

I'm finished discussing this subject. If you don't see what I'm saying now, you probably won't.

William
11-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Lolita if there is anything you want to bring to my attention. I promise you that you will have a response within 48 hours and in 95% of the times well within 12 hours.

And jill is right. This is not a democracy and even if it was, it is not always those yell most that people listen to. I promise, If you want to see something change around here a well written polite PM will be much likely to do it than anything else you can do (except for bribing me :-)

It is true that the real world doesn't always work like it should but it is normally easier to change the system by working with than against it.

William
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Well it's my opinon that we are members here. We all contribute to this website, we don't just sit back and watch. If we see something we think is wrong I think it's right for someone to take a stand.

yes but take a stand by contacting us. I am sure there are many members here that can testify to the fact that it does indeed pay to contact us if you want something changed. No I / we will not always do it but we will listen to your idea and keep it in mind in the future.

William
11-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Please everyone keep this thread about the change. Leave everything else "by the door" or it will be closed.

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 09:51 PM
yes but take a stand by contacting us. I am sure there are many members here that can testify to the fact that it does indeed pay to contact us if you want something changed. No I / we will not always do it but we will listen to your idea and keep it in mind in the future.

I have to agree with William on this. Every time I have had to contact either William or one of the staff. It does get more attention and a better reply more than to rant on the threads. A polite PM to do with any problems on AC have been explained and dealt with to my satisfaction in the past. I think you will find dealing with it this way also gets you more respect and a better explanation than to publicly go against what has been decided. :ssmile:

Deleted User
11-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Exactly right. You and your team are very responsive and helpful.

Lady Hobbs
11-24-2009, 10:04 PM
People seem to think because they have a User Name here, they have a personal interest invested. This site belongs to Williams. He makes the changes when and if he wants changes or has been given idea's for changes. He also writes the rules of the forum and quite frankly, can do whatever he wants to do and whenever he wants to do it without blessings from any of us.

This is a simple announcement.......not another declaration of war.

Deleted User
11-25-2009, 01:54 AM
That's exactly it, Hobbs. It's up to us if we want to join the AC and if we want to participate, but we should hold ourselves to the rules. I've found the "staff" here to be very responsive and I think even if they don't agree with a point of view, they still hear you out. I've only been here since the summer, but this is typically a very friendly and informative place w/ little drama and that is due to the mods doing a good job and most members being sincere and respectful.

Crispy
11-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Kudos to the mods for handling this appropriately. This is a great forum for all members/guests alike. Let's keep it that way.

HomaridNoob6
11-25-2009, 02:39 AM
People seem to think because they have a User Name here, they have a personal interest invested. This site belongs to Williams.

Perfectly said, interesting change here, many of my posts are in chatterbox, so I might no longer have a good idea of how many posts I have made. Ask me if I care, nope, It doesn't matter how many posts I make, if it did, you'd see me spamming daily, maybe hourly even!

Anyway, people do really need to realize the point LH put forth here, members don't own the forum, we don't pay for the hosting, it's not our property. So give a hand to william and the mods because without them... respect the mods decisions even if you don't like them. This is a really great forum, let's keep it that way and stop with all the drama and stupid stuff!

Kaz
11-25-2009, 03:42 AM
You know, I'm pretty "darn" sure the people who have a problem with chit-chatty threads / posts counting really have a problem with me, not that forum in general.

If it would make them happy, it's fine if just my chit chat threads don't count. I really am just being myself and am not trying to stack the deck for getting awards sooner.

Maybe people should check out my resume / other activities before they assume I'd be worried enough to make up posts that I didn't care about for the purpose of racking up points or whatever.

Or, shoot... MAYBE they could have sent me a PM and let me know it was on their last nerve and we could have talked about it privately, or involved some of the mods privately to figure out what was what. That would have been nicer than blowing up part of the forum.

I don't think people complaining about postcount was because of any of your actions, rather, after the chatterbox came underfire for the nonsense threads somebody thought it was unfair that we gave posts for that.

I never considered that chatting in the chatterbox shouldn't count towards post but I guess the principle is logical

Lady Hobbs
11-25-2009, 03:45 AM
Thanks so much guys.

Post counts were removed from the Gallery a few months ago. They were removed from the Game Forum last year. Now it is time to remove them from Chatterbox. It's not even an issue so why make it one. It's merely a simple rule change.

MonkeyPox
11-25-2009, 04:01 AM
What a great thread!!

Little Embers
11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
GEE! A lot can happen when you live in a different timezone :ssuprised: .

My first thought when I just read this thread, was how it would affect new members who may not have enough experience to answer questions or post a lot in the fish forums, therefore not accruing many AC points, taking them a long time to be able to buy gifts, play the lottery etc., but then I thought....if they really wanted to buy a gift to thank someone or something similar, a PM would do just as well, I think words are often more meaningful anyway. This is just a suggestion, but perhaps the starting AC points for new members could be raised to 500 pts or something like that.:ssmile:

Also! If anyone is really after raising their post count just to get an award etc., all they have to do is just post in the fish forum saying things like....I don't know....that stocking sounds great etc. etc., posts to that affect if they really wanted to.

Jaster
11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
I've help with a lot of forums through the years and almost every one of them has had the debate of what the members can or should be allowed to do or who's place this is. Something along those lines. Especially when rules get changed.

This is Williams site. He makes the rules, we agree to them when we become members. As members we make this place happen. Can't have a good site with out members. But it's still his house and we still need to follow the rules and be respectful. Just because we helped paint the walls doesn't mean we can put our feet on his furniture.

Most of the forums I've helped have done away with points and rewards and open chat rooms because of issues like this. (granted 13-19 year olds having temper tantrums online because they can't write about their locker room talk about their g/f's, posting porn, spam wars... this is a MUCH more civilized crowd). Hope that doesn't happen here, it's actually kind of fun to get the rewards and such.

I really think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. Sounds to me like no one in the staff is saying don't have fun, don't make fun of one another (playfully), don't chat about things that have nothing to do with fish, or else... Have a blast! just keep it in moderation like anything else.

It's just a change that happens to come about at the same time as some drama hits off topic.

I've personally never thought Off topics posts should count for anything at any forum. Posts that are forum topic related should count (like paintball questions at my forums or fish here) Picture threads of fish I think should count, off topics pics shouldn't. Things like that. Honestly though, I really could care what my post count is at the end of day. What I do care about is that I get great info here that has helped me out in more ways I can count and that I now have learned enough to pass that along to the next newb in line and help them. This is an awesome site that is very well run and staffed that allows more latitude with rules and members then any other forums I've seen so far. Including the ones I moderate at. The members are great, the debates are great (even if over heated sometimes), and can say I've met some very interesting people here. Post counts shouldnt change that.

... bla... this stuff is boring. Can we go back to talking about fish stuff now? Thats more fun...

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Red
11-25-2009, 03:40 PM
GEE! A lot can happen when you live in a different timezone :ssuprised: .

My first thought when I just read this thread, was how it would affect new members who may not have enough experience to answer questions or post a lot in the fish forums, therefore not accruing many AC points, taking them a long time to be able to buy gifts, play the lottery etc., but then I thought....if they really wanted to buy a gift to thank someone or something similar, a PM would do just as well, I think words are often more meaningful anyway. This is just a suggestion, but perhaps the starting AC points for new members could be raised to 500 pts or something like that.:ssmile:

Also! If anyone is really after raising their post count just to get an award etc., all they have to do is just post in the fish forum saying things like....I don't know....that stocking sounds great etc. etc., posts to that affect if they really wanted to.

In red LE, I agree. I thought the same thing, but then again if I got a pm from a new person who has been posting a lot and wanted points, I have no problem giving them 20k, and I know that goes for a few people on this site. Its not like it real money :rolling:
I dont know, on all my other fish forums, the chatterbox doesn't count.

William
11-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Little embers: You still get AC points to buy gifts etc in the chatterbox. You just dont get any post count.

Rue
11-25-2009, 03:55 PM

I fully agree. If you want to run up your post count, you'll find a way - and there are many 'useless' posts in the aquarium sections.

I think the chit-chat, if not abused, is valuable...it's not the same as the games sections...

But if post-count is the real issue...get rid of the post count entirely. My local SW forum doesn't have a post count because of stupidness in the past...

lahlumdi
11-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Thank you William - this is a very insightful discussion. LOL, I thought this whole site was about fish. It was only recently I discovered chatterbox... and it just isn't my bag, I guess. Though sometimes tempting.

We should be consistent if we are working on any 'non-fish' post is not worthy of being counted.

As for the photo forum _ I guess there's an area for all kinds of photos, but once again, in my naivity, perhaps... I thought it was there to post photos of fish and improve on our fish/aquarium photos! But to be honest, for me contributing has nothing to do with getting more points, but for me, it is learning and helping others with similar aquatic interests.

Thank you again for this fabulous forum, William. I have personally appreciated your insights over the years here.

AABatteries
11-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes they do...

Nice idea Will:22:

I suggested it when I first came here. Just because that's how another forum's was and I was surprised ours wasn't. :hmm3grin2orange:

Little Embers
11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Little embers: You still get AC points to buy gifts etc in the chatterbox. You just dont get any post count.
OOH!! I really didn't know that Wiliam, I thought they were connected in some way. :14:

I think the chit-chat, if not abused, is valuable...it's not the same as the games sections...
Rue!!...are you saying the games are not valuable? Shame..Shame on you..j/k :hmm3grin2orange:

OOPS Sorry! last comment is off topic and is a discussion for another time...:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
11-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Nooo...just not AS valuable as chit-chat...:hmm3grin2orange:

Little Embers
11-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Nooo...just not AS valuable as chit-chat...:hmm3grin2orange:
Glad you clarified...:11: Just didn't want you to get a lot of posts from disgruntled members. :hmm3grin2orange: