PDA

View Full Version : News - Mako shark

William
10-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Sorry, only one news item

Capture of Mako shark off Florida sharply criticized online

(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../news/lib/449)

Rue
10-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Poor shark...:scry:

violet
10-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I feel sad.........

bushwhacker
10-11-2009, 12:56 AM
they didnt hook the shark in that video but they may get a fine and a slap on the wrist is all

HomaridNoob6
10-11-2009, 01:17 AM
This would be fine with me if they were hungry and or just fishing for food purposes, but the fact that they're fishing just for sport it seems by the look and sound of them kind of disappoints me in this case. I REALLY hope that shark gets eaten, down to the last scrap of meat.(EDIT:guess I didn't listen to the last few seconds at first, they did give away a bunch of the meat) Im pretty sure most AC'ers will agree when I say it would have been pretty cool just to watch that shark cruise around the boat and be glad you saw a fish like that. What really got me was the "Someone's dying today!(hahahhaha)" thing in the interview. IMO never gaff a fish you don't plan on having for dinner. They weren't out there for shark from the sound of it, seems like some idiots that were just like, look a big fish, lets catch it however we can and we'll get attention!

and yep, all they'll get is a small fine, if that.

Nobodynotime
10-11-2009, 04:28 AM
D-bags!!!!!!!

vegas2k
10-11-2009, 06:59 AM
I'm glad it all went to food, even though they did not use any legal fishing methods to get it. To me, it's just like hunting a deer with a cross bow when you don't have the papers to use it, and had the whole deer butchered for meat. used an unfair advantage to get it, but at least you ate all the food from it. Hunt from the land, eat from the land.

Red
10-11-2009, 12:56 PM
shame they killed it.

violet
10-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I bet you the shark sits in there freezers and finally ending up in the trash. I don't know if any of you know this but quite a few years back in neah bay washington the natives were allowed to hunt wale... not so much allowed as the fact thAt they just could because they could... animal rights tryed to stop them but in the end they managed to spear one... The poor guy ended up roating away on most of there porches... Just because you can doesn't mean you should.. bottom line... there mothers need to give them a spankin for being Dumb A#$es....

William
10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
That would be a shame considering how good shark meat can be if prepared correctly.

Lady Hobbs
10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Eating it all doesn't bother me either but Asians killing sharks by the hundreds only for their fins for soup does. Far different to kill one maybe once in your lifetime than killing dozens daily. It's the over fishing and the waste of the meat that bugs me.

Northernguy
10-11-2009, 03:46 PM
That was rediculous!There is no sport in that!
If they got it to the boat on a line that would be different.They really butchered the fish getting it in the boat!

octoxpuss
10-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, They should have left that monster. They did it for fame and u know how sad that is. That is classified as PATHETIC. They will never have my respect and the sad thing is I DONT EVEN KNOW WHO THEY R.

osomxl
10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
please keep in mind that these guys probably have liscences from the state to fish and there maybe rules stating that if a catch is threatened by a shark they have the right kill it.

I dont know the specifics.

I remember as a kid when fishing San Diego bay we ran out of bait and went to the tackle shop to buy more. When we left there was a trashbag in a trashcan with tailfins sticking out. We dumped it over and pulled out 5-6 female nurse sharks about 4 foot long. That is just a waste of perfectly good shark!

CATCH AND RELEASE!

Its a fun sport, but leave em for the next guy to catch!

Mith
10-26-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm guessing that those of you who don't know if the shark was eaten may not have watched the video (or it may not have been there when you went to the site).

The shark WAS eaten. It was cleaned and the catchers gave a LOT of the meat to their friends. Macko sharks, (or Bonito sharks I believe) are VERY good eating!

If it was me, I'd have done the same. When it comes to fishing I don't have ANY problems killing fish if I'm going to be eating it! And in this case... it would get eaten!