PDA

View Full Version : Please read!

William
10-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I am going to do something I havenít done before on AC. I am going to have a collection, a small fund raising. The collection is not for AC but for a girl I know down here. I will not give out her name here in public but anyone wanting to know more can contact me via PM.

The girl in question is a poor Nicaraguan girl. She has no family as her mother died earlier in September and then last Tuesday she was raped by a man in a taxi. The next day she was fired by her employer. In one month she lost her last living family member, been raped and lost her job.

I have done what I can to help her including but not limited to helping her with the police that was likely to ignore her if she went alone. When she first visited the police by herself the police just tried to feel her up and if she hadnít left he might very well have raped her as well. My presence meant that they needed to take everything more seriously. I also helped her get legal representation. This meant that the perpetrator ended up in jail the same night she was raped. I have also tried to be there for her as much as possible for here.

After all the bad luck this girl has had recently I thought she could use some good news and this is why I am starting this collection. With your help we really can change her life or at the very least give her some good news, show her the kindness of strangers.
$60 equals one month of pay for her. (When she is lucky enough to have a job)
$150 is enough to get her started with her own business selling stuff on the beach.
$250-300 is enough to buy a piece of property where she in time can build her own house.
$400 is enough to buy a piece a property for her and build a simple Nicaraguan house on it.
$500 is enough to get her a house and her own business.

As you can see even a small amount of money can help make a real difference in her life and I really hope that as many as possible of you will help me help this girl. Help me give her some good news. Please remember that even $5 will make a big difference for her. And if a lot of people pitch in just a little it will make a big difference.

I will start the collection of at $50 from me!

Donation can be made via the donation page http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/donate.php (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../donate.php)
All donation received during the next two weeks will go towards this collection. I will give you all daily updates on the progress of the collection in this thread.

Thanks for reading.
William

rookie
10-05-2009, 11:01 PM
u have my donation

William
10-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks. Very generous of you!

Northernguy
10-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I do what I can William!
Kudos to you for being there for her! Thats awesome.
I'll contact you shortly.

rich311k
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Very nice of you William sounds like the poor women has been through the wringer.

Northernguy
10-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Is there a time limit on this William?

Cristoff
10-06-2009, 01:55 AM
You can count on my help William. I just need to get home so I can set it up.

William
10-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Is there a time limit on this William?

Yes and no. It can of course not be allowed to go on for too long and I was thinking two weeks (like stated in the first post) but that can be discussed and changed if needed. Why do you ask?

celloplayer
10-06-2009, 02:59 AM
wow, this is a great cause. I've known a few people that have been through similar things. It really is hell.
If I can donate, I will, and I really support this collection, and think you are doing a great thing. Even if I am unable to donate

Red
10-06-2009, 03:00 AM
I want to donate, just tight on cash as in no job right now... I hope everything turns out well, keep us updated on her..

William
10-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the sentiment Red. I know not everyone have the possibility to contribute but I hope that those that can will.

Northernguy
10-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Yes and no. It can of course not be allowed to go on for too long and I was thinking two weeks (like stated in the first post) but that can be discussed and changed if needed. Why do you ask?
lol I asked because I didn't see it in the first post.(blush) Two weeks is great!
I gotta brush up on this reading stuff!

William
10-06-2009, 05:20 AM
I have been asked if I have a paypal account. The answer is yes and donations can be made via paypal by visiting the donations page http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/donate.php and clicking the paypal link. If you want to use another method please PM me and we will se what can be arranged.

HorrorShowRot
10-06-2009, 05:23 AM
If I can mail you a check I can donate. But will have to be next week when I get paid. Poor girl:scry:

William
10-06-2009, 05:26 AM
Horror show. I will send you a PM.

Neon
10-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I am in it . I have donated what I could.hope it helps. please let keep us updated on this girl, how old is she ?

I have adopted ( distance adoption ) a girl in Bangladesh through Action Aid Int , this way she receives a monthly amount for her needs and schooling.

lmgiles88
10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Truely a great man William! I admire you for your unparalled good will!
I will make a donation this evening after work.

May have to call Zurich a move some money around though!! :hmm3grin2orange:

William
10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Neon the girl in question is 19, soon to be 20. Like I said before. Ever little bit helps and so does your donation. Thanks

Will keep you all updated.

Jaster
10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Truly a good man William. I have to say (as a former cop) that someone showing up with her to the police for them to take her seriously should be a crime... Glad you could be there for her William. I hope that guy gets what he deserves!

I wish I could donate more but glad to help out.

Owlbehere
10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm going to see what I can do too...

dragoonwoman
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I will be donating shortly. My heart goes out to the girl!!

I will remember her story when I start moping and whining about my life. I've got NOTHING to complain about compared to her!

Please let us know how this turns out.

William
10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the support guys.

I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

William
10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
A small bump!

Lolita
10-07-2009, 02:28 AM
William you're doing such a wonderful thing for this girl! The world needs more people like you. I've just sent you a donation through paypal!

bushwhacker
10-07-2009, 04:15 AM
let me run this past my wife, shes the only one workin at the time. but i cant see her stoppin a bit of help coming your way

leggomypleco
10-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Bump!.....

Neon
10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Up you go !

William
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the donations so far and the bumps.

Little Embers
10-07-2009, 07:53 PM
William...would you happen to know what the Australian Dollar is worth over there?

Also is PayPal safe? I have never used it before.

bushwhacker
10-07-2009, 08:29 PM
little embers paypals about as safe as it gets for online money transfers. i get mad when i go to buy something and they dont take paypal

Lolita
10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I would agree. Paypal is extremely safe, and easy to use. It's a really wonderful service--you couldn't find a safer way to transfer money.

William
10-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes paypal is safe as long as you keep your password from falling into other people hands and allways type paypal.com in the browser bar before loging in. Never use links.

I believe an australian dollar is about 0.88 USD

Little Embers
10-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the reassurance bushwhacker, Lolita and William!

Through the generosity shown by members here given to a complete stranger and the kindness/assistance you are giving to this young girl William, with everything she has gone through recently, may she at least find some happiness this Christmas Season and her faith be restored (if even just a little bit) in people due to that generosity and kindness.

A quote that I am reminded of now...is by Anne Frank.

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart"

Demi ^_^
10-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I'll ask my parents tonight if I can donate - I only have 5 dollars, since I am not quite old enough for a job and get my money solely from simple chores.

I did a 40hr famine (No food) a few months ago- when you are fortunate, you should be able to give to others :-)

William
10-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your support and kind words. Every donation is appricated no matter the size.

Kaz
10-08-2009, 10:36 PM
So how much has been raised so far?

William
10-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I check and post an update every night. last night it was 230 USD

rookie
10-09-2009, 12:29 AM
nice lets keep going guys just a few small dollars can change this young girls life forever

Kaz
10-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Sadly my only money is in cash and even worse, it's canadian.

Not to make excuses or anything but unless I mail you or something weird like that I don't think I can donate.

William
10-09-2009, 02:01 AM
I know and respect that not everyone can donate. Thats just the way it is and nothing to feel bad about.

Kaz
10-09-2009, 03:17 AM
I know and respect that not everyone can donate. Thats just the way it is and nothing to feel bad about.

Yes, but you're guilt tripping me with that new signature of yours.

William
10-09-2009, 04:19 AM
I have used that sig for 4-5 months. Will remove it for the time being ;-)

Lab_Rat
10-09-2009, 04:55 AM
I have used that sig for 4-5 months. Will remove it for the time being ;-)

Lol, no need to feel guilty about giving Kaz a guilt trip! He can skip a fast food meal and donate :hmm3grin2orange:

Kaz, ya know I love ya! :11:

Kaz
10-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Lol, no need to feel guilty about giving Kaz a guilt trip! He can skip a fast food meal and donate :hmm3grin2orange:

Kaz, ya know I love ya! :11:

I was mostly joking about the sig thing but whatever. It isn't that I don't have extra money or that I'm not willing to donate it, but I just can't.

Maybe I'll find a way.

bushwhacker
10-11-2009, 09:03 PM
kaz if you use paypal it can do the conversion for you..of course youd need a bank acct or a credit card to set it up. i've purchased things from asia and the uk and it does the conversion and send the money in what ever thay use

William
10-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Currently the collection stand at 560 USD.

Cristoff
10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
That is wonderful news William!

leggomypleco
10-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Way to go people. You guys are awsome:22:

Kaz
10-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Currently the collection stand at 560 USD.
WOOT!

Are you still going to collect or are you stopping?

William
10-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Well I said I was going to leave it open for two weeks so I will. But I must say that we have reached a goal I never thought we would reach.

Kaz
10-13-2009, 03:50 AM
Well I said I was going to leave it open for two weeks so I will. But I must say that we have reached a goal I never thought we would reach.

You really thought we couldn't do $500?

I think that is a fairly pessimistic assumption based on the kind of people we have here. (by this I mean that Most people are generous here and I had no doubts about us reaching $500)

If people still donate I bet we could get up to, say, $750.

But I'm happy we reached our (modest) goal.