PDA

View Full Version : Gold Dwarf Gourami and Cherry Barb = Bad?

FollowMe
10-03-2009, 09:43 AM
This may be in the wrong forum but since the majority of the tank is barbs and cherry barbs are part of the issue...I think maybe. Sorry, if it is.

We have a 15 gallon tank with 8 cherry barbs (2 being male), 5 large tiger barbs, 4 med. green/moss tiger barbs, and 2 gouramis (one being male). We use to have 10 cherries but two have died in the last 24 hours. We think that the gouramis are nipping at the cherries and maybe the smaller green tigers. Is this an accurate observation? (All fish were doing fine prior to the gouramis, and we saw the gouramis batting the dead cherry between the two. We think we see the male cherries' fins and the smallest green tiger barb 's fins as damaged. The male gourami also is always chasing the female one around the tank.) As of right now, we have moved the two gouramis to a smaller tank until we can figure out a solution.

What should we do? Is the gouramis really attacking these fish?

P.S. All fish are eating and no sign of disease. Not sure about our ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels, pH to be exact, but we had out water tested to clear us for fish earlier this week. Our pH is around 6.8-7, and all other levels are low and going down naturally and with added bacteria. ALSO, our full size tiger barbs don't attack the a gouramis or cherry barbs. They stick to fighting among each other and sometimes aimed at the green tiger barbs. Tank has been established for a week with pH buffer and bacteria supplements. All the barbs being introduced on the first day and the gourami introduced on the second day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dancethenparty
10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
wait....is your tank cycled?

VoidParadigm
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Two dwarf gouramis need a 20g.
Without all those barbs they might have been fine, but there's too many fish in there. Even if you just go by the horribly flawed inch per gallon rule you're still overstocked.
I suggest returning the gouramis or buying a bigger tank.
In my opinion.

violet
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I must agree... a little over crowded

T Fades
11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
agreed, way overstocked

Unknown Dobo
11-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Hiya,

we are just newbies here but we also think your overstocked.
some one posted this link to us,
try it out http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
Hope it helps.

See ya from a fishtank newbie couple