PDA

View Full Version : Jardini Pics

Bennlfer
10-03-2009, 02:01 AM
I found my USB cable! :ssmile: Here are some pics of him, and one of my tank. He is camera shy though, and my camera is not that good, so please bear with the low quality.

I will post more if my cousin lets me borrow his camera, which is way better than mine lol

Demjor19
10-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Very nice little Arowana! Will be a real beauty one day!

Gramazing
10-03-2009, 02:52 AM
You'll be feeding him mice before long... ug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gQiRdh9Sac

Demjor19
10-03-2009, 03:03 AM
You'll be feeding him mice before long... ug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gQiRdh9Sac

That's totally unnecessary. Just people trying to be cool.

Bennlfer
10-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Forreal :ssmile: At least feed them pinkies. I wouldnt want to eat a bunch of fur!

Demjor19
10-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Forreal :ssmile: At least feed them pinkies. I wouldnt want to eat a bunch of fur!

From what i understand...red meats are bad for fish (in large quantities anyway). To be honest I have always avoided it all together. It's just not needed in their diet.

...and i have Pythons...so I'm not just some tree hugger defending the cute mice! ; )

Bennlfer
10-03-2009, 03:34 AM
Hahaha yeah i have read that an occasional rodent may fall into the water in the wild, but still it doesnt seem right to feed a mouse to a fish for some reason.

I dont even like the idea of feeder goldfish, as they are not present in its natural diet. Plus the disease thing.

Demjor19
10-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Hahaha yeah i have read that an occasional rodent may fall into the water in the wild, but still it doesnt seem right to feed a mouse to a fish for some reason.

I dont even like the idea of feeder goldfish, as they are not present in its natural diet. Plus the disease thing.

I used to feed feeder fish to my gars, but had a bad ich outbreak (one of the feeders must have had it). After that I trained every fish I had onto pellets and fresh seafoods (raw shrimp, fish fillets, etc.). They are so much healthier and easier to care for now! I havent offered a feeder for several years now...

Home raised feeders are usually ok, but that;s up to the individual keeper.

Bennlfer
10-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Yeah i think im going to avoid them all together. I prize my fish way too much to chance it.

Demjor19
10-03-2009, 03:53 AM
Yeah i think im going to avoid them all together. I prize my fish way too much to chance it.

I agree 100%. All it takes is one bad feeder...

Bennlfer
10-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Check out these guys at a store near my house. I dont know why they sell them in LFS because they get to like 4 or 5 feet long! Ridiculous.

Demjor19
10-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Check out these guys at a store near my house. I dont know why they sell them in LFS because they get to like 4 or 5 feet long! Ridiculous.

On the contrary...I know several people that house them comfortably! I do know where youre comming from though...99% of us have no way to house them! They should almost be on some sort of special order list...

Bennlfer
10-03-2009, 04:14 AM
Do they ponds!? Or just really large tanks?

Demjor19
10-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Do they ponds!? Or just really large tanks?

Big tanks!!! I personally know a few people that have tanks well into the 1,000's of gallons. Most are either concrete block or wood construction with glass fronts. very impressive! I plan on having something similar within the next few years.

Bennlfer
10-03-2009, 04:25 AM
:ssuprised: I would love to see some pics of a tank that size! I would definitely invest in one if i had the money! I spare no expense on fish!

Demjor19
10-03-2009, 04:30 AM
:ssuprised: I would love to see some pics of a tank that size! I would definitely invest in one if i had the money! I spare no expense on fish!

They basically make-up an entire wall with a maintenance room built behind them. they all have a fairly similar design. i have no pics on hand though.

Crispy
10-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Nice jardini! How's it's appetite been lately? getting bigger?

Bennlfer
10-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks! Yeah it is actually. Ive started feeding him 4 times a day (5 if i get up early enough) and he eats pretty readily at every meal. If i dangle a superworm in the water he comes darting from the other side of the tank and almost grabs it straight from my tongs! But i let it go a split second early so he doesnt hurt himself biting my tongs lol
But yeah so far so good. I cant wait for the day he eats like a horse though!:hmm3grin2orange: Thanks again for your guys' advice in helping me get his feedings on track, it proved invaluable to me.

Crispy
10-04-2009, 08:46 AM
No problem. So glad you got the superworms for him. Alot of big-fish keepers overlook these protein filled treats! Keep up the good work and your jar will be a monster in no time! beautiful fish! thumbs2:

Bennlfer
10-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks! I also have been working on breeding crickets for him to eat so i dont have to waste my money on them anymore. Just tonight i started seeing little tiny nymphs crawling around in the nesting material, so within the next few days im expecting a full litter! Then he will never run out of those! Plus i am contemplating getting a lizard so this is a double win for me! :hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
10-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Perfect... you will have a big beautiful jardini in no time! Keep us updated.

Bennlfer
10-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Of course i will. :ssmile:

Crispy
10-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Good to have another aro keeper on this forum. :)

Demjor19
10-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Good to have another aro keeper on this forum. :)

It certainly is! There's not enough of us around! :ssmile: