PDA

View Full Version : Overtstuffing Aro?

Bennlfer
10-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Hello again guys. So i increased the amount of food i feed my Jardini as suggested in a previous thread, but i dont think he is capable of eating as much as i anticipated. I fed him three crickets per meal today instead of two, and also fed him two superworms for dinner, instead of just one. I intended on feeding him more, but he took quite a while (10 or 15 minutes- maybe a bit longer) to get down his second worm. His stomach looked rather bulgy, and just as a test i threw in a small cricket when he finished his second worm, to see if he would take it. It took him some time to get it, he was eyeballing it for a while and seemed hesitant, but in the end ate it as well. After his meal he was rather skiddish, darting all over the tank and seemed shy or something.

My question to you veteran Aro-keepers is... Was the amount of time taken to consume his meal was too much? I figured he would get them down a bit quicker, but i may be wrong, as i have been in the past. Also, he was making this weird movement with his back, looked like he was trying to swallow or something. He kind of curved up his back in a U-shape. Is this normal? May i be overfeeding him? I know from what you guys have told me that they have huge appetites, but something didnt seem right tonight. Thanks ahead of time for your advice.

Crispy
10-02-2009, 10:47 AM
His stomach has gotten used to eating so little, so it has "shrunk". Keep up with the "all-you-can-eat" dinners and his appetite will grow. I bet within 2 weeks he'll start eating three times what he's eating now.

BTW, got any pics of him? :)

Demjor19
10-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I normally feed as much as she can eat until she refuses or hesitates to feed. Granted my fish is nearly an adult and is only fed once to twice a week. You should be focusing more on frequency of feedings and not so much the ammount in one feeding. I would probably offer the same portions as before, but step up the frequency of feedings. For example...instead of feeding twice a day feed 4 times a day (this is just an example...your aro may be willing to feed more or less often). You'll need to work with her and make adjustments accordingly.

Good luck!

Bennlfer
10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Alright thank guys. I should have realized that. A starving person could not eat 3 double cheeseburgers at once so i dont know why i expected him to! Ill ease him into a bigger diet and keep you guys posted on how he is doing.

Crispy- sorry no pics yet, i have misplaced my USB cable for my camera. When i find it, Ill post some ASAP!