PDA

View Full Version : Need help keeping my Aro's food alive!

Bennlfer
09-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Hi i purchased 100 superworms the other day to feed my Jardini, because they were so cheap in bulk. (Only 6 bucks for 100) But now as the days go on i am losing more supers than i am feeding him (Only one a day at night, for dinner). I have them in two seperate tupperware containers with 2 to 3 inches of rolled oats for substrate and i use potatoes soaked in water for about a half an hour as a food and water source (I dont know where to buy water crystals). But i am unsatisfied with the amount of deaths among my worms so does anyone know a better way to care for them? Any suggestions on new substrate or food? Please help as i dont want to have wasted my money on them. Thanks ahead of time for your advice.

Crispy
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
My superworms are also in rolled oats and I might lose up to 5 out of 200. I don't usually feed them (they come with "gutload" to eat). Hmmm... maybe don't buy so many at a time until he's bigger and eating more? Mine can polish off 100 in 4-5 days easy. Doesn't leave much time for them to die. Are you sure you're not mistaking the dead worms for discarded shells? They do molt (white one's have just molted) and leave behind what may look like a dead worm to the untrained eye.

Demjor19
09-30-2009, 12:07 PM
How big is you Jardini? Off topic, but he should be fed more than once a day if he is a YOY or juvi fish. When starting out I fed my silver 3-5 times a day (in small portions). Just a suggestion.

Bennlfer
09-30-2009, 05:06 PM
He is about 6 or 7 inches long. I feed him twice a day, but i only feed him superworms once a day. I do know what your talking about crispy, i saw one of these shells and thought they were cannibalizing each other at first, but remembered what crickets look like when they molt so i figured this was what happened. I am considering buying less at a time. How do you get water to them if i may ask?

Crispy
09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
He is about 6 or 7 inches long. I feed him twice a day, but i only feed him superworms once a day. I do know what your talking about crispy, i saw one of these shells and thought they were cannibalizing each other at first, but remembered what crickets look like when they molt so i figured this was what happened. I am considering buying less at a time. How do you get water to them if i may ask?

I don't give them any water (they don't last very long). A jardini of that size should eat close to a dozen for supper. Start making them the "main course" and give him the sticks or whatever else for lunch sparingly. They're way better for his growth at this time. He needs and wants all that protein.

Demjor19
09-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't give them any water (they don't last very long). A jardini of that size should eat close to a dozen for supper. Start making them the "main course" and give him the sticks or whatever else for lunch sparingly. They're way better for his growth at this time. He needs and wants all that protein.

I totally agree...feed that thing more!

Bennlfer
09-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Feed him that many every night!? :ssuprised: Sorry i am new to keeping Aro's and i guess i under-estimated his appetite - by a long shot. Ill start feeding him more. But his belly gets rather fat after he eats, should i worry about this?

Demjor19
09-30-2009, 10:19 PM
It's a small fish that is intended by nature to grow LARGE...FAST! Until he reaches about a foot...feed him when he wants it! Arowanas have a massive appetite!

William
09-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Dont worry about the fat stomach.

Bennlfer
09-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Ok will do. Thanks guys i cant imagine how hungry he has been this whole time.

He sends his thanks too im sure :ssmile:

Demjor19
09-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Ok will do. Thanks guys i cant imagine how hungry he has been this whole time.

He sends his thanks too im sure :ssmile:

One more thing...you said you have a Jardini correct? Does he have any tankmates? If so...be ready for fireworks when he reaches the 10-12 inch mark. They are notorious killers once they start to mature.

Bennlfer
10-01-2009, 12:46 AM
No tankmates except a royal pleco. But i am going to upgrade to a 180 gallon tank and i was curious if he could co-exist with any other fishes in that big of a tank, but i dont think i want to chance it. I was thinking if anything a spotted garr.

Demjor19
10-01-2009, 01:16 AM
No tankmates except a royal pleco. But i am going to upgrade to a 180 gallon tank and i was curious if he could co-exist with any other fishes in that big of a tank, but i dont think i want to chance it. I was thinking if anything a spotted garr.

Gar are actually very fragile (in a physical sense) and are really quite defenseless against aggressive tankmates. They do much better with more passive tankmates (as long as they are too large to be a food item).

If I were you I would just let the Jar grow and see what his personality brings. A fish like that would be a looker even by itself.

Bennlfer
10-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah i that's what i think im going to do. They are quite beautiful fish, very powerful looking. I cant wait until my guy reaches a bigger size! :ssmile: They look even better when they are big!

Demjor19
10-01-2009, 03:07 AM
Yeah i that's what i think im going to do. They are quite beautiful fish, very powerful looking. I cant wait until my guy reaches a bigger size! :ssmile: They look even better when they are big!

I agree! there colors get much more vivid as they grow and mature! You wont be disappointed!