PDA

View Full Version : Good hiding ideas for Clown Loaches

CHAMMY121
03-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Does anyone have a good idea for a hiding spot for 2 four inch clown loaches? They love to squeeze into small areas, but I can't find anything that would work good except $40.00 decorations from pet stores. Any ideas welcome.

Lady Hobbs
03-30-2007, 02:46 PM
PVC pipe
I've got a large mouthed vase in my tank

crackatinny
03-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Or if looking for a more natural look, i have a hollow bit of driftwood, that I often see a tail of one of my clowns hanging out of, whilst cuddled up with my other clown and a suckermouth catfish that they have grown akin to.

sergo
03-30-2007, 03:14 PM
coconut shell. and you can enjoy it too, if you like coconut.

xoolooxunny
03-30-2007, 03:20 PM
To combine Hobbs' pvc pipe idea with Crack's natural look, you can always silicone small pebbles/rocks that match your substrate to the pipe, I've seen it done on this forum I believe and it's a popular way to keep the tank natural looking.

A340
04-15-2007, 08:00 AM
I can give you a great suggestion of a bad hidding spot. Just buy an internal filter like my Fluval 2plus and they'll sneak in the creavice between the filter unit and clip on the tank wall and spend all day there ..... grrrrr! I think I might put some foam inbetween there to keep them out.

Drumachine09
04-15-2007, 04:11 PM
You might try a slate structure in the corner of your tank like i do here

kimmers318
04-16-2007, 02:42 AM
PVC pipe works great as does a nice piece of bogwood that they can squeeze under. Leaning the piece of bogwood on something is also a way to make a nice little nook for them. Although I haven't heard anything pertaining to clowns liking to munch on bogwood mine are always nibbling away at it, maybe they find things I can't see, I don't know.

Mdsuave13
07-09-2007, 10:10 PM
they sell a bunch of products, all are expensive, i used to have a coconut in there that was hollowed out and had some holes beaten in the sides, they loved that till they got too big for it. You can also use java moss to make it look more underwaterish...

i right now am using a log for a reptile that actually floats in the water, its got 3 good sized holes and is hollow from end to end. I then wrapped some fake floating vines around it and it looks sweet and floats well. The clown loaches i have (4) tend to pile up in it and lay on each other at the top of the tank.

I would say tho that a coconut shell would be your best bet.. cheap and a treat!

Mdsuave13
07-09-2007, 10:12 PM
I can give you a great suggestion of a bad hidding spot. Just buy an internal filter like my Fluval 2plus and they'll sneak in the creavice between the filter unit and clip on the tank wall and spend all day there ..... grrrrr! I think I might put some foam inbetween there to keep them out.

haha, my 2 rainbow sharks do that or they will hide behind the pipe for the filter.. i always have to look around for a bit to see them, they are great at hiding in random places..

My old redtailed shark will actually swim up the slight waterfall and jump into the filter and just chill in the shallowness until he gets bored, then he dives back into the tank.. that is all i ever hear at night.... Sploosh.