PDA

View Full Version : Competition Behaviour

fins_n_fur
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
It's come to my attention that some folks are either sharing their current or possible comp entry photos in the chat room or perhaps soliciting votes for their photos or for the MOTM contest in the chat room or by pm's. I must admit that I don't understand why some folks seek to ruin the fairness of the monthly competitions. What happened to a sense of fair play, winning on merit, effort, and skill?

We've made a number of changes to the competitions to ensure that everyone is getting a fair chance at winning a medal and points, i.e., for photography skill, fishkeeping skill, or aquascaping skill, not for popularity skills. I spend a lot of time and energy each month behind the scenes to make these contests fun and successful. I dont mind, because I think you enjoy them as much as I do. However, there is no way I'm going to spend any of my valuable free time supporting popularity contests. I have never liked them and never supported them.

If the majority of you would prefer to have popularity contests, in what ever guise, then I'll tell William that he'll need to find another person to run these comps for you.

Red
09-02-2009, 12:23 PM
these competitors might be Illinois Politicians.

I guess I wasent the only one thinking that :rolling:
Im sorry this stuff is happening :(

MCHRKiller
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Im a regular of the chat atleast 3-4 times per week, and Ive never seen anyone soliciting votes for any competition out of their friends in there. At most somebody will post a new photo and others will comment "that would be a good pic to enter in whatever comp, you should do it" and others will agree or whatever. But its never been a direct, "hey go vote for me or whatever" that I have seen.

WhiteDevil
09-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I guess I wasent the only one thinking that :rolling:
Im sorry this stuff is happening :(
100% sad but true.

Seems Quinn is backpedaling now as well.

I run my own site and know that PM's can be traced, if someone is cheating then make it known and ban them from competitions. I think we are all adults here.

Oscar_freak12321
09-02-2009, 02:18 PM
WhiteDevil, you have made a very good point. I haven't received any PMs concerning the comps save for that my entries were received, and I rarely go into the chat room.

WhiteDevil
09-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I might throw a pic or two into a competition but Im not in it for kudos I am in it for the science and passion of the hobby.

I dont make good points often but cheating is one of my big pet peeves, if you cant win it on your own, dont enter.( I used to street race for a number of years and well cheating is a way of life hence what got me out of it)

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Fins is doing a great job at these comps and he's right, it can be very disheartening to run contests when cheating is going on. It's disheartening, as well, when you see the same people winning month after month because soon others do not even try to enter.

Fins is also right on when he says a great deal of time goes into these comps "behind the scenes." It helps a great deal if people would enter their photos according to the comp rules.........such as sized correctly. We are dealing with only one photo and Fins is dealing with a 100 or more so let's give him a helping hand and deliver our own photos to him resized. Rules are stated clearly. It's also stated clearly that cheaters will be banned from future comps.

Three people have run the comps now in the last 3 1/2 years. We do not want to loose another person due to unnecessary stress put on them.

Let's please play fair, read the comp rules, resize as you are asked and let's enjoy the comps rather than just stressing Fins out and cheating on our fellow forum members.

Thank you

Sharon
09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Ditto!....and remember that you really should vote for the best photo...a vote that's based on picture quality and photographer skill and talent. Sometimes it's easy to vote for yuor favourite person's pic, or even a pic of your favourite fish...Not really fair though!

Kaz
09-02-2009, 03:26 PM
As a regular member of the chat I and a person who will never enter a comp (I also don't vote on any comps except for MOTM) I have to say I've never seen a person do that in the chat.

I have seen people post pictures of their new pic up and down the chat and we have then encouraged that person that their pic was good and could go in a comp but I assumed encouraging people was a good thing so that we could get more people who otherwise wouldn't enter a comp.

I know that the competition talked about most is XTMO because several members of the chat are entering so people are rather excited and they talk about the different things they will do for it but I have never seen somebody ask for votes.

I have seen people talk about the comp voting and talk who they think is going to win but I have never seen people ask for votes.

I once asked which one of my photos was the best one for a competition I was entering, but that contest was a contest In real life, not on AC.

I do know of somebody who is soliciting votes by PM, but they have never been to the chat.

Now there is always the possiblity that whenever I leave they start talking about the comps but that seems less likely.

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I do know of somebody who is soliciting votes by PM, but they have never been to the chat.

This is what this thread is about. Soliciting votes. Doing so in PM's is no better than in chat.

Sharon
09-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Also if pics are being discussed in chat, doesn't that rule out annonymity???(sp?)

MCHRKiller
09-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Sometimes, but if you already know the person and the person's stock and camera skills you can usually spot their pics anyway.

Wiggs
09-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Also if pics are being discussed in chat, doesn't that rule out annonymity???(sp?)

Lets not fool ourselves, the competitions were never about that.

We all know who's pics are who's for the most part. People always use posts from their threads in the PoTM. If not that, its the quality of the picture.... I always know which picture is Celtic Fin's or Richs...

A lot of people actually joke around about that. You know, my picture would be great if it was taken on a nice camera.

Kaz
09-02-2009, 04:21 PM
This is what this thread is about. Soliciting votes. Doing so in PM's is no better than in chat.

I agree, and I am not saying saying people should solicit votes, but I am just saying that the people who do that aren't on the chat, as this thread seems to be targetting the chat and the people in it.

gabbyguppy
09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Lets not fool ourselves, the competitions were never about that.

We all know who's pics are who's for the most part. People always use posts from their threads in the PoTM. If not that, its the quality of the picture.... I always know which picture is Celtic Fin's or Richs...

A lot of people actually joke around about that. You know, my picture would be great if it was taken on a nice camera.

Thank goodness they can only win twice in a year. If not, the rest of us would never stand a chance.

Maybe we need a "crappy equipment and not so interesting fish category".:hmm3grin2orange:

Karen

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2009, 05:45 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: lolololol

Crappy Equipment contest I am in for!

Crispy
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
I agree with MCHR, I'm on the chat quite a bit and have never seen anyone solicit votes. It wouldn't work on me anyways... I totally agree with keeping it fair.

Mith
09-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Soliciting for votes! OMG how aweful!

On a side note completely unrelated....I've got a huge box of chocolates sitting here for anyone that wants some.

Disclaimer: recipients must be registered voters.

Wild Turkey
09-08-2009, 03:22 AM
I cant speak for anyone else, but I can say that anyone who asked me for a vote would be less likely to get one if i recognized their entry, which is almost never, and no one has ever asked me for a vote. I have told people they should have won the motm in private though lol I guess we are all a little guilty if we take it that seriously.

I can say though, we did kinda cover the sharing future entries bit, didnt it result in the "rate my photo" sub section? :D:11: Just use that guys, I was planning on using it this week

All in all, everyone here is intelligent and responsible enough to put aside personal feelings when voting in a comp even if they do recognize an entry, which is bound to happen. The only way to avoid it would be to not share tank photos, and no one wants that im sure with all the :worthless: I see everywhere:hmm3grin2orange:

Red
09-08-2009, 03:31 AM
"fins and fur uses the stick to beat people, and draws blood"

Mith
09-08-2009, 03:39 AM
"fins and fur uses the stick to beat people, and draws blood"

I thought that I was the only one allowed to beat people with sticks??

William
09-09-2009, 06:03 PM
It might not be common that people try to solicit votes in the chat or in PMs. (I hope and think it is uncommon) But we have had reports about it happening so this thread is justified as we have to do something before it becomes a real problem. If we ignore the reports it might become a big problem and no one wants that.

The fact that so many say that the havent seen it in this thread is a good sign and something we should all be proud off.

smaug
09-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I have not experianced any vote soliciting but I have witnessed cpotm pics that were not following the rules.I felt the rules were very clear and the poster should have known better,hopefully this can be avoided in the future.As for motm soliciting,I would like to make sure the votes for motm are a landslide as I have been nominated,make sure to NOT vote for me,I would like to have a perfect record:22:

DrNic
09-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Fins you do a great job with the contests! I hope you keep going with them. If you ever want any help please drop me a note.

And I totally agree that there definitely seems to be some behind the scenes soliciting going on. Almost every month I bookmark the OTM voting pages (particularly if I have photos submitted), and check the pages a few times a day to see how my entries are doing. It's really obvious when you see enties that were in 3rd or 4th place suddenly jump to 1st or 2nd after a sudden addition of 4-8 votes. It's particularly noticeable when it happens with multiple OTM categories at the same time.

Wiggs
09-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Just an interesting observation I have made since reading through this thread and hearing the claims of people soliciting votes through the chat room.

Previous OTM Winners

MoTM

August:MCHRKiller/Jaysee

July:bushwhacker/Kingfisher/Little_Embers

June:The Red Severum

May:Algenco

ToTM:

August: Anomoly/-lp

July: MCHRKiller/nic

June: MCHRKiller/plantedlab

May: Fins_n_Fur/Punisher Vette

PoTM:

August:-lp/Smaug

July:Rich311k/CelticFins

June:Fishalicious/Miltonic/Rich311k

May:CelticFins/Rich311k

APoTM

August:Brookfish/CelticFins

July:TrojanEmo/VoidParadigm

June:Ranubis89/TrojanEmo

May:Trojanemo/CelticFins

CPoTM:

August: Bluray/MCHRKiller

July: Nic/Fishtail

June:Kaybee/Sharon

May: CelticFins/fish_n_fur

After Looking at the previous winners, and comparing them to the people who come into the chat, it's pretty obvious the chat has nothing to do with the outcome of the contests.

Of the 39 winning/runner-up entries over the past 4 months in our competitions, only SIX have come from someone who even goes into the chat. Three of those six have been in the MoTM category and went to someone who deserved it REGARDLESS, since it's not supposed to be anonymous.

now can we please put this to rest?

Deleted User
09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Oooohhh man. So there ARE politics in the world of fishkeeping? I thought I only had to deal with that when it comes to showing horses http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/blush2.gif