PDA

View Full Version : New Silver Arowana

saints4
08-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Just got my first arowana. Its a silver about 4" now. Im trying to feed it pellets but it just swims right past... will it eventually start eating them?

Oscar_freak12321
08-30-2009, 09:19 PM
An arowana will rarely accept pellets to begin with. Try feeding him crickets and worms. Also get him started on Hikari predator sticks. That will give it a good solid diet. Also beefheart. :22:

Crispy
08-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Freeze dried shrimp should get him eating. Crickets and worms are good to start with also.
I totally agree with the hikari aro sticks being a staple of their diet, but you'll have to get him eating something else comfortably first. Good luck with your new aro! thumbs2: Once they start eating, they won't stop!

Northernguy
08-30-2009, 09:24 PM
You could also keep trying the pellets.If he doesn't eat them remove them and try again later. It will start to eat them once it gets hungry enough.They don't eat everyday in the wild either.A variety in the diet is a good plan.

Red
08-30-2009, 09:29 PM
What size tank is this guy in? And great advice from above!

saints4
08-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Ill try that, I just put bloodworms in and it made a mess of the tank, so Ill try the pellets, if it eats them great, if not Ill remove them and try later. How often should I try this a day?

Oscar_freak12321
08-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Two or three times should be sufficient while you're fasting him.

Crispy
08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Keep the tank water very clean. They need pristine conditions and any food that is wasted should immediately be taken out.

Demjor19
08-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Two or three times should be sufficient while you're fasting him.

This fish should not be fasted at all. he should be fed 3-5 small meals per day. They grow way too fast to go without meals. Fine tune the diet as time passes by but keep her fed. An Arowana this size could starve to death in as little as two days...depending on her current condition.

As for meals...mine as a baby was very accepting of Hikari, FD Krill, live Crickets, and chopped raw market shrimp. Try offering her foods that make her feed at the surface. This way she will eventually start taking anything on the surface of the water...leaving her to decide weather or not it was food after the fact. Then watch your fingers! :hmm3grin2orange:

saints4
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
This fish should not be fasted at all. he should be fed 3-5 small meals per day. They grow way too fast to go without meals. Fine tune the diet as time passes by but keep her fed. An Arowana this size could starve to death in as little as two days...depending on her current condition.

As for meals...mine as a baby was very accepting of Hikari, FD Krill, live Crickets, and chopped raw market shrimp. Try offering her foods that make her feed at the surface. This way she will eventually start taking anything on the surface of the water...leaving her to decide weather or not it was food after the fact. Then watch your fingers! :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks, but right now, hes not taking anything, Ive put pellets in, just swims by, blood worms same, deal... whats going on? could it just be the stress from the move?

Demjor19
08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks, but right now, hes not taking anything, Ive put pellets in, just swims by, blood worms same, deal... whats going on? could it just be the stress from the move?

Live crickets. Get them...once he starts feeding on them try substituting pellets in with the crickets. He will eventually start grabbing the pellets thinking they are crickets...after a while phase the crickets out of the diet. This has worked for most of my young predatory fishes.

Also...make sure your water is pristine! Arowanas are very sensitive to water quality.

gokulshol
09-04-2009, 08:18 AM

May be he is suffering from a new place syndrome. Just switch the tank lights off and keep the tank where there is minimal movement. That way he will get used to the surroundings soon. It takes atleast 40 hrs before he shall start taking any food. Once he starts taking food ensure that he gets fed for at least a minumum of 3 times a day. This is a must for a 4 inch arowana.