PDA

View Full Version : Buying female tiger barbs?

KK1
08-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Since juvenile tiger barbs are hard to sex, am I safe in buying the largest same age fish in the tank that do not have red noses?

Northernguy
08-15-2009, 01:41 AM
The best things to look for are bright colors,perfect fins.No illnesses,look for spots,fungus,torn fins,rapid breathing,pale color,inactive fish sitting in a corner should be avoided.
I have brought my 6"magnifying glass to look at some fish before buying them.lol It really shows everything that way!
Most important is look for dead fish in the tanks.
I also go to every store I can first ,it pays to shop around.

jaysee
08-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Since juvenile tiger barbs are hard to sex, am I safe in buying the largest same age fish in the tank that do not have red noses?

Welcome to the site.

How many tigers do you have, how many do you want and how many are you planning on getting now? A few big females are good to have in the school, especially as young males begin to mature.

You are correct to identify them by the nose. Other indicators are the tail fin and dorsal fin.

KK1
08-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Perhaps can you post pics (or links) of male and female barbs? I've tried to tell a few differences between my barbs but it's difficult because they're so young!

I know reputable sellers in my area, it's just pretty difficult to tell the differences [as stated above], and I'm trying to breed them (this is my first time trying to breed egglayers).

jaysee
08-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Male Female. See the nose, dosal fin, anal fin and tail fin