PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good catfish or two...

jscurrier
08-11-2009, 01:17 AM
On Sept. 29th, im picking up my 150g tank with all the bells and whistles. I started the hobby with a 29g tank and had to take most of my fish back due to getting the wrong fish (had no knowledge until i came here pretty much). I now only have 2 senegal bichirs in the tank. They are only 3 inches right now and are my favorite fish. I want to get at least one catfish after i get my set up running and cylcled. I figure the bichirs will be over 4 inches by then. I'm looking for a species that will grow with the bichirs to around 12" or so. What are some good species i can look into that would be good tankmates for the bichirs? or is this really not a good idea?

Northernguy
08-11-2009, 01:20 AM
I really like the idea! I like a bottom feeder in most tanks that are big enough!
Are you thinking of a large pleco?

jscurrier
08-11-2009, 01:24 AM
I will be getting one of those as well, and a couple mid/top dwellers. Havn't decided on those yet. I think i will come up with a list of possibilities, and take the wife with me to pick some out. I would like to see her enjoy the tank as well and have a part in it's residents :)

jscurrier
08-11-2009, 01:26 AM
I had to take back my columbian shark, violet goby (not a brackish tank) and the bala shark (didnt want to house a group of them in anything under 180+. The bichir.. i kept.. and got him a buddy... they get along great and are just awesome. I love the little silver cats with the black spots.....

Northernguy
08-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Here is a link to a few different species of cats.
Theres not that many to choose from!
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/common_names.php?letter=a

jscurrier
08-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks thumbs2:
just want to do my homework first... learned a valuable lesson last time.

Northernguy
08-11-2009, 01:41 AM
That link makes research easy!With pics!:19: lol
Good Luck!:22:

jscurrier
08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
thumbs2: after doing some research, I decided upon the pictus catfish for my tank. They like to be in groups, so I went to my LFS and behold! There were a few in a tank! ( I originally went to just get a pleco, but hey, they were there). I got a bristlenose pleco, and two pictus cats. They immediately went about eating everything in sight and appear happy. The Pleco is chowing on the algae growth...I have one question.

I think that one of my Pictus is... how shall I say.... obese? or perhaps... "with fry"...

I took a couple picts in order for an expert to take a look and tell me if I should be prepared to try to save some babies, or just get her on an eliptical.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/jscurrier/Picture195.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/jscurrier/Picture192.jpg

Crispy
08-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Pictus cats will be fairly small.. a bigger cat in the same family would be a pimelodus blochii... (four-lined cat)... I've kept a few of them over the years and they are my fav for a large tank with larger fish.

jarjarbinks42981
08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I have a 180g tank with 2: 6inch tiger oscars, 14inch common pleco, 2: 8inch albino pleco, 5inch common pleco, 3: 6 inch channel cats. My brother gave me the 3 channel cats (I traded 3 pictus cats for them). He found them in a lake that "turned over" (no oxygen in it) and rescued them from death. He had them in his 90g tank for 3 months and they grew from 3in to 6in in that short time. So if you want a bottom feeder that will grow fast and be able to "hold their own" I would recommend the channel cat. Now keep in mind not many LFS have channel cat but it's something to think about. One other thing channel cat get huge. I once caught a channel cat out of a lake that was 34in long so keep that in mind too. I know that my 3 will outgrow my 180g tank so I plan to release them back into a lake in a few years. I hope this helps.

Crispy
08-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Channel cats do get huge (and I do see them in the fish stores)... here's me with one about 6 weeks ago... they also sell an albino variety. Seems to be a very hardy cat, but will outgrow any tank.

jarjarbinks42981
08-14-2009, 10:46 PM
I totally agree with the huge factor on channels. I am at lake McConaughy in Nebraska. Well last night around 2am I caught a 53in channel by the dam. It took 3 of us to pull it into the boat. It had a tag in its dorsal fin so we had the game warden look at the tag and he said it was caught 2 years ago and it was only 16in then when they released it in the lake. Long story short we took it back to the dam area and let it go cause the warden said we had to let it go (it is a for science I guess).

jscurrier
08-16-2009, 01:01 AM
If I had a tank big enough, I would like a bigger catfish, but as it stands, the 150 will probably only house the 2 pictus cats. Noticed one snipping at my bichir tonight... he got scolded.....:goldfish:

jarjarbinks42981
08-16-2009, 04:55 AM
If you have a 150g tank you could in my opinion have 3-4 pictus cats in your tank and get away with it but I think if you have 3-4 pictus you might want to get some sinking pellets for catfish and feed just a small amount of the pellets once a day

kaimarkhirst
08-16-2009, 04:21 PM
No way on any more than 2 pictus in a 150G. I have 2 pictus cats in my 100G and they are VERY aggressive. I dont care what anybody says that they are only nocturnal, wil eat anything, and like groups.

They dont... At all.....

They can be territorial, fight and be generally unsociable..

I love them!!!!!

They are great catfish, colourful, attitude and the whole demeanour of them is so like a catfish its wonderful. Id keep the 2 and leave it at that, let them grow (in a tank like this, if your quality of water is perfect, theyll get as much as 8inch. Mine are about 4 and still growing...

I also have birchirs with them, they wil leave eachother alone as soon as the pictus establishes territory...

hope this helps..

Kai

jscurrier
08-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I love them too, when i come home from work, they rush to the front of the tank and pace until I give them the bloodworms. Then they race around like flashes. I suppliment with a couple sinking shrimp pellets and an algae wafer for my pleco... pretty happy tank right now. I still do water changes constantly, probably more than i need too, but it gives me something to do. All my levels are normal except Ph is at like 7.8. I have been using Ph down (API) but it doesnt seem to do the trick. Dont really have the room or money to get any driftwood at this point. thumbs2:

Oscar_freak12321
08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
You know what looks like a variety of the channel cat but stays smaller, maybe around 10 inches or so? The sun catfish. That would be my choice for a 150. :22:

pinchyboy
08-17-2009, 07:57 PM
i agree with oscar freak

jscurrier
08-18-2009, 04:59 AM
Thats why i chose the Pictus, they stay relatively small and are really pretty fish. I notice one catfish as been exerting it's dominance over the other, chasing it around. The dominant one has taken over the rock cave for it's personal home and it doesn't like company. One issue i have with feeding them, however, is that the two catfish seem to be eating nearly all the food in the tank. I have been thawing a half cube of bloodworms in tank water and only feed one half at a time. I hope my bichirs are eating enough. They seem to find a couple worms before the cats gobble everything up, but I don't want to overfeed and cause water condition problems. I noticed that if I put a whole thawed cube in, some of the food ends up in plants and cracks then ultimately rots away. Putting the cats in there has defenitely livened things up if nothing else.

I really just need to get into my new house on Sept. 29th and get that 150 cycling. These fish are so small right now, it will seem like an ocean to them for a while...

Thanks to everyone on this site who have been giving me such valuable information. :19:

jscurrier
08-19-2009, 11:14 PM
I know i asked this question before, and posted a couple pics in this thread, but i didnt really get an expert opinion. Is that catfish pregnant? It is even bigger now and seems to have extended toward the tail. I just want to know if this is normal for Pictus cats, or is it sick, or pregnant. It looks like the thing is going to burst at this point. I cant get a good picture because it stays in it's little cave just hovering. I ask because it seems like the other catfish has a big belly too. The photo's and videos i have seen dont depict this. I cant find anything related to this other than pregnancy. I would think the fish is too young to rear fry, but I just dont know

Wiggs
08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Look into Syndontias, they are a cool group of cats that get fairly good size.

jarjarbinks42981
09-10-2009, 08:43 PM
To my knowledge cat fish are egg layers and I think your catfish are not egg bound. However I do know that a catfish that is well fed will be fat and from what I have read from your post you are feeding them very well.
I hope this helps.

morgangallow
11-12-2009, 03:35 AM
i agree. your pictus is just chubby from food. i work at an lfs, and they get that all the time. nothing to worry about. just because they will eat doesnt mean then need too.. and they will eat.