PDA

View Full Version : 10gal lonely betta blowing bubbles

10galNewb
03-23-2007, 10:42 PM
So i went out a couple of weeks ago and decided to setup a 10gal top fin tank and i put a betta in it. i also have a 1 gal with a betta in it. the one in the ten gal seems a lot happier. lately he has been blowing a lot of bubbles like he is making a nest. is this normal? is he lonely? should i get him a female? i think 10 gals for a single betta is roomy and i kinda want to get him friends maybe a couple cory cats or white clouds. i put some of those aponogeton bulbs from walmart for $3 in and one is sprouting now. anyways is he lonely?

Abbeys_Mom
03-23-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think Betta's get lonely. Adding a female is not a good idea. Adding 3 is better, but if you add any, you will have problems. Bettas are very aggressive towards each other, even the females can fight. You will go from a peaceful tank, to all out war. I would stick with the one you have. Plus, it is hard to feed baby bettas and you will need homes for any fry the pair would produce.

cocoa_pleco
03-23-2007, 11:47 PM
bettas are fine by themselves. Only schooling fish need friends.

Drumachine09
03-24-2007, 12:25 AM
However, you could get 4 or maybe 5 corys for the bottom, providing you monitor the agression.

10galNewb
03-24-2007, 01:45 AM
i just went out and got 3 panda cory cats. the betta isn't bothered by them and they look like they are happy cleaning the bottom. aquariums are fun.

Betta_noob
03-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Just be careful, he still might snap and go over the cory's never get to comfortable with other fish being in with the betta, stuff can still happen.

sxcsamman
03-24-2007, 09:50 AM
bettas are only agresive to other males i have male bettas in alot of my cumminty tanks with no probolms.
10 gallons is not to big
10 gallons *should* be the minum there aloud to be kept in.
fine they can live in a puddle but do they enjoy that NO!

sorry for the rant

kimmers318
03-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Everyone is right, betta's don't really get lonely, and my understanding of a betta making bubble nests is that it is a happy betta. Your cory should be fine with the betta. I have one in a 5 gal with 3 panda and the only issue I have seen is all of a sudden the betta likes the cave, which he never did before, so I just added some extra hiding places. The betta I put in a community tank was fine, he did some chasing and flaring, his biggest dislike was the gourami, but there wasn't any real issues. It always comes down to the temperment of the betta himself, some will accept it, some won't. My single betta wouldn't tolerate an aquatic frog, but is okay with the cory. My advice on betta's is to let them decide, if you want to try any tankmates be ready to seperate them or return them if yours says NO.

Betta_noob
03-24-2007, 03:24 PM
bettas are only agresive to other males i have male bettas in alot of my cumminty tanks with no probolms.

So you have nice bettas, but they are not all the same, I did have one that would chase and rip the fins of the corys. It is a MYTH that they are only agressive to their own kind. Not to mention there is always the possibility of the other community fish harming the betta.

cocoa_pleco
03-24-2007, 03:47 PM
ditto. My platys attacked my betta.

bettaboy691
03-24-2007, 08:25 PM
most bettas are fine with small fish or dull colored ones, certainly not other males or females though.
cories are usally accepted by the betta, ottos are another fish you could add. maybe a small shoal of something like black neons?
bettas can live alone, but doesnt mean they have to, chosing their tank mates carfully helps stop aggression, although personally i would instead of buying fish, buy a devider and give your other 1gallon betta 5 gallon each.and add a few ottos to each side, 1 gallon for a betta isnt good.

Tails
04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
most bettas are fine with small fish or dull colored ones, certainly not other males or females though.
cories are usally accepted by the betta, ottos are another fish you could add. maybe a small shoal of something like black neons?
bettas can live alone, but doesnt mean they have to, chosing their tank mates carfully helps stop aggression, although personally i would instead of buying fish, buy a devider and give your other 1gallon betta 5 gallon each.and add a few ottos to each side, 1 gallon for a betta isnt good.

Bettaboy - just HAD to say: LOVE your avatar :19: :luxlove:

SkarloeysMom
04-22-2007, 02:50 AM
My betta, Skarloey, seems to dislike company of any kind, except me of course. Before I knew better he was in an overcrowded community tank with white clouds and oto cats and the white clouds were picking on him. He got stressed and sick and almost died. (maybe from the stress but the overcrowding probably had something to do with it too.) With the help of some folks on a Betta forum I was on, I nursed him back to health and moved him to his own 2.5 gal. tank. That was a year ago and his still doing well. Then later I tried putting one of my otos in with him and he just wouldn't leave the cat alone so I took it back out. I think Skarloey is a loner.

I think if I was going to put a Betta in a community tank I'd REALLY keep an eye on the tank to may sure nobody's getting picked on and be ready to move the Betta if need be. A Betta in a 10 gallon tank alone! How luxurious! That's one lucky Betta!! thumbs2:

cocoa_pleco
04-22-2007, 03:07 AM
mine in my planted 20g will just bug new fish for a few hours like an initiation