PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on fiddler tank

Mustang Boy
08-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I will be cleaning out a small eclipse 6 gallon tank later today and i was wondeirng if this would be suffecient for a pair of fiddler crabs. With plenty of plants, a small peice of drift wood extending out of the water, and maybe a bit of rock that reachs the water line. I was thinking maybe a couple of guppies possibly or som other small fish to keep the fiddlers company but if the fish wont fit i can leave them out of the plan.

aquatic lover
08-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Hmmmm.... I think you should only add fiddler crabs because when I added fish to my fiddler tank the fish killed two of my crabs when they were molting, but it is your choice if you want to add some fish to your fiddler tank. A 6gal could only hold two or three fiddlers. fiddler crabs need brackish water and they are great escape artists so make sure your tank is properly secuired.Your idea is pretty neet it should work out just fine.:22: If you need any help just ask, I will gladly help you. This is what what my fiddler tank looks like. p.s I put a pic of my tank on my reply just in case you wanted to use an idea from my tank.

Mustang Boy
08-07-2009, 03:56 AM
thanks for the reply and the fish were definitely not a must just a possible addition but with the chance of the fish killing and eating the fiddlers after a molt i will definitely leave them out and maybe try for a third fiddler instead

and oh yes i have heard of the abilities of fiddlers to find ways out of tanks and i will make sure that any possible escape point is blocked off

and yes i will definitely be bringing all my questions here for you experts to answer and i will deffinitely have some like which plants will survive in a brackish environment and how would ghost shrimp do with the fiddlers would the fiddlers see them as an occasional snack or just leave them alone?

oohh yea and i saw the picture of your tank in another thread and i think it looks great and a very unique idea with the fish bowl inside

aquatic lover
08-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Well... fiddlers don't hunt but the fiddlers may try but won't get him but I can't guarentee you that. I think a ghost shrimp can go into your fiddler crab tank.

ChromeLibrarian
08-07-2009, 06:22 PM
The fish bowl thing is rather interesting.

candice&jeff
08-07-2009, 06:34 PM
The fish bowl thing is rather interesting.

I was just thinking the same thing! What smart thinking!thumbs2:

Mustang Boy
08-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Well... fiddlers don't hunt but the fiddlers may try but won't get him but I can't guarentee you that. I think a ghost shrimp can go into your fiddler crab tank.

cool and after i made that message i thought to myself wait why do i care if the fiddlers eat the ghosties they are cheap to replace lmao.

ChromeLibrarian
08-07-2009, 11:28 PM
If a crab gets it's claws on a ghost shrimp, it will get eaten.

Monicka2
09-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Cool idea with the bowl. I am planning on a fiddler crab tank so that would be a cool thing to add.thumbs2:

HomaridNoob6
09-13-2009, 09:04 AM
interesting, first I've heard of fish killing fiddlers, usually the other way around. I can get it though, because crabs are very vulnerable when molting.

I'd also say the eclipse 6 is a good tank for crabs since it has a pretty decent footprint for its size, although you're gonna have to get something to replace the built in filter, it won't pull water that high and would cause a big waterfall. That's all assuming your gonna have a fairly low water level in the tank though.
The ghosties, ya theyd prolly get eaten if they get caught, but if your not concerned about the cost of them, I wouldn't worry too much, from what I've heard they're pretty healthy as feeders.

It sounds like a good plan to me though so far, I want a crab or crayfish tank real bad myself, just dont wanna dedicate a 20 or bigger to one crawdad, and dont want to cram it into a 2.5 either.

post some pics when you get it going! can't wait!

Mustang Boy
09-13-2009, 05:25 PM
i was planning on trying to push the limits of the filter to see how far it could pull the water up. and i was planning on using some PCV cut in half as like a make shift river or waterfall and direct the falling water towards the the water area

and i have since been thinking of maybe making this 6g tank into a shrimp tank also so its gonna be a toss up to which i eventually decide

and seeing as all of my plans have to be put on hold since i lost my job earlier this week it may be some time till this tank gets setup

octoxpuss
09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey Aquatic Lover, that fish bowl idea is good but, how will the CO2 from the crabs escape eventually all the Oxygen will be gone and they will suffocate. Ha. Just a thought. It is simple to fix tho if u have a prob like that

Mustang Boy
09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
i have thought about the CO2 in the fish bowl myself and have come up with the perfect fix.

about once a week or every couple weeks use an air pump(im sure most of us have them lieing around) and some air line tubing and stick the airline tubing into the fish bowl and pump air into it do that for a few minutes and it should displace most of the CO2 out of the fish bowl and it should just float up and out of the tank

octoxpuss
09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah that is what i was going to say

kacourt
09-13-2009, 07:17 PM
How super fantabulous! How long have your fiddler crab setup going? I may copy it :22: . Do you keep them in brackish water? Everything I have read says they are brackish, but everyone at the pet stores say that there are fresh water ones and salt water ones, and then brackish ones. I think I am going to go with brackish. Thoughts?

aquatic lover
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey Aquatic Lover, that fish bowl idea is good but, how will the CO2 from the crabs escape eventually all the Oxygen will be gone and they will suffocate. Ha. Just a thought. It is simple to fix tho if u have a prob like that
No air is trapped inside, When my female fiddler mated, she stayed in the air bowl for two days and did not die from a lack of oxygen, there is an air stone in the air bowl, and the air comes out by bubbles from the air bowl.

aquatic lover
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Fiddlers are brackish water.

kacourt
09-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Fiddlers are brackish water.
Thanks very much! That settles it.

Monicka2
09-13-2009, 09:29 PM
It is a good idea and I am planning on using it. The bowl I mean.

aquatic lover
09-15-2009, 04:29 AM
It is a good idea and I am planning on using it. The bowl I mean.Make sure you put an air stone in the bowl, and make sure the air stone bubbles don't escape from the air bowl before they pop. And buy a small air stone for the bowl.