PDA

View Full Version : Are cherry barbs as hardy fish as tiger and rose barbs?

batmura
08-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi everyone!

I've never had any cherry barbs in my tank and was thinking of getting some. I love tiger barbs and rose barbs; both species are immensely active fish and they are a joy to watch while feeding. I love how they school together. However, what I like most about them is that they are among the hardiest fish I've ever had, compared to livebearers and some tetras.

So my question is are cherry barbs generally as strong as tiger and rose barbs? Also, in terms of behaviour are they more like tigers (pretty aggressive at times) or roses (peaceful and happy at all times)?

Thanks!

rich311k
08-05-2009, 02:03 PM
They are pretty tough and they are as mild mannered as barbs can get.

EddyC
08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Cherries are very hardy fish, and are entirely peaceful. Their mouths are too small to nip anybody, but they do chase other fish away from a female who's looking for love.

They are a schooling fish (you should keep 6 or more for best results), but they don't school closely. They just like to have other cherries in the tank for security.

They are very passive, so you have to make sure that more aggressive eaters don't steal all the food. (My platies are PIGS, so I put the food by the filter output so the food sinks down to the barbs.

Very easy fish to keep, and a lot of fun to watch.

batmura
08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks a lot Rich & Eddy!

How about putting cherry barbs, rosy barbs and tiger barbs in the same tank? Would the tigers bother either of them?

Good to hear the cherries are as hardy as the rosies, which I love. :)

Thanks!

EddyC
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
It's always hard to tell with tigers; each group is different. But the other two should do fine together.

Aeonflame
08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Cherries are lovely fish, very nice disposition and quite hardy.

s72450
08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Cherries are great fish. I really miss the few I had before the ice storm last winter. They were fun to watch and added color to the tank. I plan on getting some more as soon as my LFS gets some in.

jaysee
08-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Cherries are very hardy fish, and are entirely peaceful. Their mouths are too small to nip anybody, but they do chase other fish away from a female who's looking for love.

They are a schooling fish (you should keep 6 or more for best results), but they don't school closely. They just like to have other cherries in the tank for security.

They are very passive, so you have to make sure that more aggressive eaters don't steal all the food. (My platies are PIGS, so I put the food by the filter output so the food sinks down to the barbs.

Very easy fish to keep, and a lot of fun to watch.

Couldn't have said it better myself.