PDA

View Full Version : Help a small barb?

DrNic
07-31-2009, 03:41 AM
Well I decided that I would give barbs another try, and I'm REALLY glad that I did. I ended up getting 3 more tiger barbs and 3 albino barbs to put in with my lone barb. These barbs are WAY more active than my last batch and much more fun to watch. I even got 2 pregnant females (one tiger, one albino)!

My worry is that one of the albino tigers is smaller than all the rest of the fish. It looks like he probably came from a different brood. He looks healthy enough, but he's always hanging in the back of the tank, although he doesn't hide. He gets picked on from time to time, although it doesn't look like anything too severe at the moment.

Is there anything I can do to help this little guy out? I'm worried that eventually the other fish might go too far and I'd hate to lose him.

jaysee
07-31-2009, 08:28 AM
My school of tigers has three different sizes of fish. I like that in a school. There is the possibilty they've marked the one and will continue to beat on him, then again they may ease up. They could do both - let up on him and then start back up. Tigers can be very unpredictable.

What is the m/f ratio?

DrNic
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure the exact m/f ratio as I'm a little new to barbs and haven't been able to sex them. I know there were at least 2 pregnant females in the shoal, but other than that I'm not sure.

How can you sex them?

Wild Turkey
07-31-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure the exact m/f ratio as I'm a little new to barbs and haven't been able to sex them. I know there were at least 2 pregnant females in the shoal, but other than that I'm not sure.

How can you sex them?

The larger, less colorful ones are the females. The smaller ones with a lot of color, especially on the nose are males

male:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSzg/SYCkt_mdcHI/AAAAAAAAK8s/UTVPbpU61To/s400/Tiger+Barb+Fish.jpg

female: http://www.aquahobby.com/img/tiger3.jpg

jaysee
07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
The nose and fins have much more red than the females.

jaysee
07-31-2009, 05:41 PM
WT's female pick didn't go through, at least not for me

female

Wild Turkey
07-31-2009, 06:02 PM
ah sorry, sometimes they dont go through if you use google images to find them

DrNic
08-01-2009, 12:26 AM
All the fins are pretty bright red but I was able to use the noses to determine the sexes (I used the obviously pregenant females as a reference). It looks like I have 2M/2F tigers and 1M/1F tiger. I couldn't tell what sex the little one is. It's nose was colored somewhere between the other albino adults.

VIP
09-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Maybe as you said, the first group you ve bought, was just a not heatly one.

i also found that when there is one fish sick or just weakier, all of the other fishes are not acting happy... i mean not swimming around like they are normally do. When the fish is taking out of the tank to be taking care of, the behavior of the other fishes are acting differently.
Fishes are so fascinating!