PDA

View Full Version : new tank setup with 4" arow added a few days ago

mos90
06-29-2009, 05:56 PM
hi all.

i just got my 125 gal (72x18x22)cycled a few weeks ago. all the ammo,no2,no3 are at 0 right now. temp 78 ph 7.2. kh at 3. planted it 1/2 way threw the cycle and they seem to be doing good.

i added a some of my fish from my smaller tank. 1-5in bala shark, 1- 8 inch pleco, 1-2in cory cat, 1-4 inch upside down cat. watched it close for about a week and everything was good.

i have been wanting an arow for a while and a local store had a nice 6incher i was hoping to buy. but of course he sold it a day before i went there. but he had a baby arow that was about 4in that i did end up buying along with 2 neon gorambis, hope thats ok. i was told that crickets for a baby is good so i got some. he ate 2 yesterday. the fish store told me that they like to eat every few day ,maybe 2-3 crickets. is that good?

i have a few questions .

how often should i feed him?
should i be feeding him anything else other than crickets? at his size
would a 2 koi angels be ok to add? wife wants them..
would a lower ph be good?

thank for advice in advance.

yes im upset i didnt go with a larger tank!!! 180 woulda been nice.

VoidParadigm
06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Sorry that I can't help you with the care for him, but I'd love to see some pictures. =]

mos90
06-29-2009, 06:22 PM
i will get some pics soon. i was kinda waiting for plants to grow in.

VoidParadigm
06-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Awh! You could always take one now and keep it as a before picture. =P

mos90
06-29-2009, 06:30 PM
ok maybe get some tonight. the arow likes to hide behind the filter now for some reason.maybe i can get him to come out.

Crispy
06-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Crickets are good, but shouldn't be his entire diet. Feed the crickets something with alot of nutrients like baby carrots or zucchini (good for color). Get some hikari carnivore sticks and get him eating those. I also feed mine freeze dried red shrimp (which he loves). Avoid feeder fish because they are not nutritious and will introduce disease into your tank. Pleco and bala shark are good tank mates... koi and cory cats are not. I've seen arowanas who choke on cory cats when they decide to eat them.

Good choice of fish and good luck with him! thumbs2:

mos90
06-30-2009, 06:30 PM
the angelfish should get about 6 inches. why would they be a bad choice?
i hope he doesnt eat my cory ive had him for like 5 years. i could put him back in my 20gal goldfish tank. should be fine there.

i ordered some arow pellets and ill see if i can get him to eat them. they may be to big and ill cut them in 1/2. also picked up some frozen brine shrimp, is that ok to?

maybe some fresh shrimp cut up good too.

i didnt plan on feeder fish.

Crispy
07-03-2009, 04:19 AM
You're taking a chance with the angels. You can try it, but it's risky. So far my 10" arowana gets along fine with his tankmates (check my sig), but it won't surprise me if I'm ever missing my CAE or twig cat.

how is he doing with the crickets??

mos90
07-07-2009, 09:01 PM
he seems to be fine. i feed him twice a day. 2-3 cricket for each feeding.
i cant get him to eat any arow sticks yet but ive been trying. hes around 5 inches now. i feed the crickets apples and carrots to help with vitamins.
hope im doing ok.

Crispy
07-07-2009, 09:06 PM
...sounds good so far. I'd add more to his diet than just crickets though. Superworms will be much better, but because they have somewhat of a shell, your aro is probably too small for them yet. Keep trying the sticks...
De-shell and chop up some fresh raw shrimp and he should go nuts for that also.

mos90
07-07-2009, 09:33 PM
i tried raw shrimp, but it sinks and he is still quite shy. doesnt come to me for food yet, but hes getting better. also he doesnt like to come out in the light too much. i have to shut them off to get him swimming around

Crispy
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
i tried raw shrimp, but it sinks and he is still quite shy. doesnt come to me for food yet, but hes getting better. also he doesnt like to come out in the light too much. i have to shut them off to get him swimming around

I had the problem with some foods sinking before he could eat them. I have a houseplant that grows out of the aquarium and a few of it's leaves are a bit submerged. I put the fish fillets/superworms half on the leaf and he finds them quickly. This is an old picture of the plant, it's much bigger now and he seems to love hunting around it.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15045&d=1244952318

AABatteries
07-09-2009, 05:22 AM
If you can get him off live food, you will be saving money. Also, its still good to feed live food maybe once a week or so.

That cory has a good chance of becoming a snack, I'd get him outta there. And chances are the angels will get beat up, if not killed.

mos90
07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
also the tank i have him in is planted. had to add a co2 system with ph contoller. co2 level right now are about 7ppm. i think thats good. i have the ph set at 6.7, is that a comfortable ph for him or should i go higher?

he still wont touch the arow sticks,but he loves the crickets.

the only thing i dont like about a planted tank is the filter pickups need to be cleaned almost every day, and the baja shark is a little jumpy and love to rip out my plants.:scry:

Crispy
07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Crickets are very low in protein and he has to have something more. pH sounds perfect, don't change that.

Demjor19
07-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I started my arow off on gut loaded crickets just like you are doing. It's a great way to get them feeding from the surface. Possibly try putting a few crickets in the tank with a few pellets. Sometimes they will mix the pellets up with crickets and eat them. After that start using less crickets and more pellets (if they fall for it). The ONLY pellet my Arow will readily eat is the Hikari Arowana Sticks. Other than that I feed mostly pellet stuffed raw shrimp (using NLS large pellets). Some Arowanas are very tricky to get on a pelleted diet.

Hope this helps?

mos90
07-09-2009, 08:35 PM
thats exactly what ive started doing. the problem is i feed them before i go to work and im not sure who is eatin the pellets.but they are gone.ill watch closer tonight. i may have to lower the ph some to get co2 to 10ppm. maybe 6.5 but that should be fine still.

maybe when he get more bold ill start to give him shrimp. few months maybe.
see if he will eat from my fingers. i know in my sons goldfish tank they will try to eat my hand when i clean the tank, not shy at all.

in the mean time i will do some pruning and get a few pictures.

hopefully soon ill get some pearling on the plants. maybe a few more days.

Demjor19
07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Arowanas can be very timid and jumpy for a long time, but when they come out of their shell...LOOK OUT!!! If I even stand next to my tank with the tops off and have any part of my body hanging over the tank...she will try to nail me. I have actually had her jump over a foot out of the water and grab my hand. It's not that she's mean, but she loves to eat and everything's a meal! Her feeding regimen is up to a dozen whole shrimp twice a week.

What species of Arowana do you have btw? Sorry if I missed it in the thread.

mos90
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
it is a south american silver.
i tried to feed him some freeze dried blood worms today and he seemed to like them. thats a start.

Demjor19
07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Mines a Silver as well. They are probably the most skittish of them all. A word of advice...make sure your ENTIRE tank is covered. They will manage to find the smallest of holes to get through and even knock lids off of tanks when larger. I had custom 3/8" thick tempered glass lids cut for my tank.

That's good that your fish tried the blood worms. Maybe even try chopped raw shrimp. mine also liked that when young.

mos90
07-10-2009, 02:23 PM
i couldnt get a good picture of him yet but hear is a few of the tank

Demjor19
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Looks great! Cant wait to see the fish!

Here is a crappy pic of my Aro. She's right around 20" right now.

mos90
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
thats a big 1..... take your fingers off. lol

Northernguy
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Thats a beauty of a tank! Nicly set up!:22:

Demjor19
07-10-2009, 03:16 PM
thats a big 1..... take your fingers off. lol

HAHA! She's still a baby! Definitely watch your fingers though! Once they reach a foot they start drawing blood pretty easily!

mos90
07-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Thats a beauty of a tank! Nicly set up!:22:

thanks, its still growing in, only been like a month. the co2 system should get things going. hope it fills in.

i think my tops are 3/16 thick. should be fine for a while. i could just make some straps for it later.

rich311k
07-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Nice looking tank.

mos90
08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
did some changes to a few of the plants. looks even better now. plants growing good and the arow is doing great. he is a pig!! loves bloodworm,crickets. cant get him to eat arow sticks yet or shrimp but still trying. he is about 6 inches now.

pinchyboy
08-04-2009, 01:41 AM
beautiful tank nicely set up the fish will make it look great....maybe u win TOTM i would vote for it really nice tank

Oscar_freak12321
08-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Month-old thread. Oh well. Yes, it is a very nice tank! thumbs2:

mos90
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Month-old thread. Oh well. Yes, it is a very nice tank! thumbs2:

thanks. i made a few changes to the tank. moved aroung a few plants. its growing in really nice and my arow is around 6" now. im waiting now for 2 more H. scombs i ordered then ill take some new pictures.

Oscar_freak12321
08-12-2009, 05:50 PM
All right! Well put up some pics as soon as you can! thumbs2:

Crispy
08-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Good to hear your aro is doing well! thumbs2:

mos90
08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
here is 1 pictures. not to good. the others i took were too big to add. need to adjust dpi lower.