PDA

View Full Version : RTC x TSN not eating

Gorney53
06-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I recently bought about a 4 inch RTC x TSN. I put the cat in a tank with some gars, arowana and a couple clown knife fish. I let the fish hang out in the tank over night. When i woke up, the fish's dorsal fin looks like it had been chewed up. I moved the cat, with a small brown knife, to a 10 gallon tank. All it does it sit there, doesn't swim, doesn't move. I've put food in the tank for it, but i haven't seen it eat yet. i'm afraid i'll lose it soon! Can anyone offer any advice as to what i should do?! Also, what it usually eats?

cer
06-26-2009, 10:37 PM
You could feed it night crawlers. How big was the original tank size?

smaug
06-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Im assuming the rtc is a red tail cat?What is the other one?How big of a tank did you have them in the first time?I am also a bit concerned that you are asking what they usually eat.Post some more info about these fish please so that you may be more readily helped out.Meanwhile,do some internet research and look up the care for these fish,there are many good places to do that and planet catfish comes to mind.

cer
06-26-2009, 10:40 PM
smaug TSN is a tiger shovel nosed catfish.

Gorney53
06-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Ok...the tank it WAS in was a 55. I'm moving all of the fish in there to a 110 here this weekend. And also, i was looking at what it usually eats. my lfs said frozen bloodworms, but i don't think that's working. I'm not sure what to feed it. This is the first time i've really done a lot of reasearch about this fish. I'm not new to fish themself, just this particular type.

cer
06-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Your tanks are to small for all of your fish. You can just go into your backyard dig a little and get some worms and your fish will eat them. It works with mine.

Gorney53
06-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, the tanks are satisfying their needs for now. But, the thing i didn't tell you is how big the other fish are right now. I've got an arowana that is 8 inches. 2 8 inch clown knife fish. 1 florida gar. 2 raphael cats...about 2 inches.

cer
06-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Well with them the gar alone needs an 180 gallon tank minimum so I don't think your tank could cope with them. 250+ tank for those fish.

MCHRKiller
06-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Tank needs to be a minimum of 300G, and that is bare bones absolutly couldnt go any smaller mad overstocked 300G.

The young TSNxRTC is probably infected with internal parasites very common in this fish when small...try feeding some sinking carnivore pellets, fresh chopped seafood soaked in a garlic vitamin supplement and some frozen fish goods.

Aros grow to 3ft in the home tank, RTCxTSN grow to right around 30" in the home tank, Gars depending upon species will grow to another 24-30" in the home tank, Clown Knives will also grow to atleast 18" in the home tank. Now each of these fish will do about 50% of their growing in the first year on average....you can see how we have a significant problem since your 55G tank is only a 4ft long*1ft wide space. I suggest you take them all back or be looking for a truely monster tank ASAP. What are your water parms on these tanks as well?

dooper369
09-04-2009, 08:40 AM
hello ok beings that he is only 4 inches he doesent have the fat reserves a larger cat would have, i have a tsn/rtc thats about 21 inches he went for three weeks befor he touched anything wich worryied me but was told not to worry. now he is not only eating the food im feeding him hes secretly eating my fish stock at night so dont worry he will eat!!!!. it just takes him getting hungry enough. blood worms/cockles/worms/blue shrimp-bit expensive/river shrimp. qwestion thoe/ is he new to the tank if yes it will proberly be the move that has done this! and your tank is just a little bit small not makeing a dig at you there.

robflanker
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Your tank is way way too small. There is a show on the discovery channel called River Monsters and the RTC is featured in it. Need I say more? Its not really suitable for anything less than a 300g tank as Jenn said, and even then you'd need bigger.

Your tank is enormously overstocked - it might not be eating due to stress of having so many fish that will get MASSIVE around it

hybridguy
10-12-2009, 01:55 AM
I think your fish is just really stressed out.Try some dried krill,i just bought a rtc about 8" and he ate krill from my hand the same day i brought him home,he is by himself in a 56 gal for now. I put two rtc hybrid tsn and an arowana in a 75 gal and it took a couple days for them to eat due to stress. I think your fish will be fine just give him some time.