PDA

View Full Version : Barbs (and friends) for a 20G?

DrNic
06-25-2009, 01:00 AM
I have a recently emptied cycled 20G tank. I was thinking about adding some barbs but I wasn't sure how many the tank.

I would like to have a mix of tiger, albino tiger and green barbs (3 each?), plus maybe some friends, zebrafish, corys and maybe something else.

Any thoughts?

Red
06-25-2009, 01:16 AM
I would just have the barbs and some cories, and other bottom feeders. Wouldn't risk anything that invades the tiger area.

William
06-25-2009, 01:21 AM
I would just get one of the tiger barb types and get more of that. But that is mostly becasue i don't like to mix color morphs in the same tank.

DrNic
06-25-2009, 01:22 AM
I would just have the barbs and some cories, and other bottom feeders. Wouldn't risk anything that invades the tiger area.
Fair enough but what's a good number for a 20G tank?

Red
06-25-2009, 01:23 AM
I like 5-7 tigerbarbs, and if you think the tank looks empty add 1-2 more. I would have 5 cories and one bristlnose.

DrNic
06-25-2009, 01:48 AM
I like 5-7 tigerbarbs, and if you think the tank looks empty add 1-2 more. I would have 5 cories and one bristlnose.

Cool. Hopefully I'll actually make it to the LFS this weekend. I'll toss up photos when I get back ;-)

jaysee
06-25-2009, 05:17 AM
I would just get one of the tiger barb types and get more of that. But that is mostly becasue i don't like to mixcolro morphs in the same tank.

Agreed.

Be prepared for the tigers turning on their tank mates though, even the corys. I think a tank of tigers is a great opportunity to get a crayfish. I was going to move the one in my 30 to the tiger tank, but I just enjoy watching him hunt too much.

DrNic
06-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Agreed.

Be prepared for the tigers turning on their tank mates though, even the corys. I think a tank of tigers is a great opportunity to get a crayfish. I was going to move the one in my 30 to the tiger tank, but I just enjoy watching him hunt too much.

Are there problems keeping the different color morphs together? Or is it just a personal preference?

My LFS always has standard and blue crayfish. With my recent troubles with my cherry shrimp though I'm a little cautious to try them.

PostalPenguin
06-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I have 7 tiger barbs in my 20g tank. 2 greens and 5 regulars. They school together and play with each other just fine so it is just personal preference. They now have two platys with them and besides some initial curiousity the tigers leave the platys alone. I highly recommend tigers if you can get a big enough school(which you can with a 20g) and keep them in a species only or limited community tank.

They are also in with a single oto and leave him alone completely. They even try to school with the oto when it zooms around the tank. And if you do get tigers I highly recommend feeding them platy or any livebearer fry as a treat. It is quite the spectacle.

jaysee
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Are there problems keeping the different color morphs together? Or is it just a personal preference?

My LFS always has standard and blue crayfish. With my recent troubles with my cherry shrimp though I'm a little cautious to try them.

No, it's strictly aesthetic.

Crayfish are as hearty as they come, and there are many to choose from on aquabid. In fact, many sellers offer live arrival guaruntees with priority shipping because they're so tough. I would only get one, though, for a 20 gallon. They do a fantastic job cleaning the tank, but are diggers.

If you have copper in your water the crays will die too.

jaimoe
06-25-2009, 09:07 PM

I don't know if this is always the case, but in my 20 gallon tank, my zebras stick to the top section, my 6 rosy barbs stay in the middle sections. They don't get in each other's way, and the bottom of the tank is open for some cories.

jaysee
06-26-2009, 05:25 AM
I don't know if this is always the case, but in my 20 gallon tank, my zebras stick to the top section, my 6 rosy barbs stay in the middle sections. They don't get in each other's way, and the bottom of the tank is open for some cories.

That's an ideal stocking plan - getting fish for each level.

mac
06-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Yes getting fish for all levels, is a good thing. But as long as you don't over stock while doing it.

mac

copper_eos
06-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Hello, I don't have Tiger Barbs but I have regular barbs of different color morphs and they all school together beautifully. I have 5 in a 26 gallon tank plus two Oto's which occasionally swim around with the barbs and seem fast enough to outrun the barbs if necessary... they do a great job cleaning the tank too.

I'm jealous! I hope to have Tiger Barb tank too someday thumbs2:

jaysee
06-27-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm jealous! I hope to have Tiger Barb tank too someday thumbs2:

They're great, especially in larger numbers :fish: :fish: :fish: