PDA

View Full Version : Tinfoils Have White Fuzz

Not NEW Not OLD
06-24-2009, 03:57 AM
came home today to find my two tinfoil barbs covered in a white fuzz on their scales and fins. please help. My other tiger barbs and cherry barbs and my two gold gouramis have no fuzz on them.
Thanks for all your help
NNNO

Dave66
06-24-2009, 04:37 AM
Sounds like Columnaris, a type of bacteria that is always on fish, but only becomes a danger when water quality dips. If you've a container you can isolate the Tin Foils in, they can be treated with a commercial anti-bacterial product to clear it up. Discard treatment water, and let the barbs continue in isolation for at least a week before reintroduction to the main tank. Treating with Stress Coat when moved to isolation will help the barbs recover from treatment.

What size tank are they in, how long has it been established, and what is your partial water-change regimen? As I said, Columnaris only explodes in population when water quality dips, so a reevaluation of your fish-keeping practices may be necessary.

Dave

Not NEW Not OLD
06-24-2009, 04:49 AM
38 gal aga tank
two HOB 30 gal aqueon filters.
setup about 4 weeks
had too many fish to start
now have 2 tinfoils
7 tiger barbs
4 cherry barbs
2 gold gouramis

took the 4 marbles out and in another 38gal tank awaiting donation

just did a 40% water change on sat night. change water 10-20 % twice week.

ammonia a bit high, still not showing much in the way of nitrates, nitrites are 0. water temp hovers around 75-78.

just raised the temp and added salt to treat if it was ich.

Thanks for the help
NNNO

rangur1
06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
sorry, my friend but the problem is a result of your tank not being cycled and being overstocked. your fish compatability is questionable also. barbs are fast active fish, tin foils become HUGE-12 inches. tigers love to nip at trailing fins like gouramis. don't want to rain on parade but your stock would be better served if [when cured] you put tin foils and tigers in one tank and cherry barb,gouramis and hatchets[marbled? i think you said] in another.

but you need to cycle your tanks, ammonia must be at 0,same with nitrites. otherwise more disease outbreaks are inevitable.

Dave66
06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Ich looks like salt scattered on the fish, so you are needlessly stressing your fish by raising the temperature and adding salt. Put the temperature back where it was (slowly) and do two 50 percent partial water changes (one one day, the other day after next) to dilute the salt. None of the fish you have care for salt, nor are any 'ill' save for the Tinfoil Barbs.

Ammonia is a bit high? No wonder you have fish problems; your tank isn't at all cycled. Ammonia is highly toxic. I'm surprised your fish aren't dropping like flies.

Your tank MUST show zero Ammonia, zero Nitrite, and as little Nitrate as possible if you want to keep fish. Also, Tinfoil Barbs grow to 14 inches long, so after you cure them using the method I described, take them back to the shop. The goramies, come to think, grow past five inches, so they are a bit too large for a 38 as well. The Tiger and Cherry Barbs, however, are just fine in a 38.

Dave

Not NEW Not OLD
06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
thank you all. The tinfoils are better this morning fuzz/spots are gone all fish are acting normal they ate well and all appear to be ok. will do a wter test in a little bit and let you know the results. I will do the partial water change today and contemplate the restock.
Thank you all
NNNO:22: