PDA

View Full Version : Betta looks great after a day or two in the tank!

kenyth
03-13-2007, 12:58 PM
After a day or two in the community tank, the new red Betta is doing great! His colors have sharpened and brightened, his fins are perkier, and he's swimming around quite actively. He looks to be a worthwhile addition to the community tank! I really hate seeing these guys in tiny cups at the pet store. They look so miserable and unhealthy that way.

Lady Hobbs
03-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Not only that, you can hardly check them out to buy them. Can't see their fins or anything they are all mashed in there. It's the way they live in rice paddles, in tiny puddles of water, but it's hard for me to believe they aren't happier in some real water.

Rue
03-14-2007, 12:00 AM
...they only live in puddles during the dry season...not year-round...

I don't have a problem with the store keeping them in containers of water, but they do need enough water to move around in...which they often don't...

...I DO have a problem with stores selling betta bowls...what part of 'NO!' don't stores understand? It wouldn't be that hard to put together appealing packages that are actually suitable for the fish!...

kenyth
03-14-2007, 01:25 PM
The vase/plant/Betta setups are particularly disturbing because they are so popular for the office. The vase is marginally big enough and most folks do actually feed the Betta food, but there isn't enough light in the office for the plant. The plant starts to die and the water builds up toxins quickly since the plant isn't absorbing them. Also, most folks don't do any daily water changes and don't add dechlorinator. Consequently, the fish don't live very long.