PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water & Hair/String Algae in Betta Bowl

jeffnyc
06-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Hello!

I have planted Dwarf Hairgrass (Potted), in sand, in my 5 gallon Betta fishbowl (no filter). The water is cloudy white and I am experiencing String Algae. Someone recommended Algaefix to clear the water.

The bowl is within 10 feet of my large eastern facing windows (plenty of light).

I have placed a number of Flourish Tabs (iron, manganese, magnesium, calcium, potassium, insitol, choline B12, biotin) in the sand to promote growth.

I change the water once a week.

I have to look into other fertilizers and CO2 as I am new to this and need to do some research.

Does anyone have recommendations for a ground cover that is less likely to attract algae?

Thank you!
Jeff

Gayle
06-16-2009, 11:07 PM
What about some Java moss?? I think it looks great in tanks!! How long has the tank been set up and cycled??? It sounds like you may be having a bacterial bloom. Also, IMO I would move the tank away from the window further to help with the algae.

Sharon
06-17-2009, 12:54 AM
If there is no filter, there is no cycle as such. I'd add a filter...Also, without proper lighting, maybe reduce the ferts...

jeffnyc
06-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Okay. So, as much as I hate to do this... it seems I can't do live plants without filtering, etc.

Does anyone have recommendations for excellent, beautiful artificial plants? I don't care about cost, I want these suckers to look totally real!

Thank you!!!
Jeff

Fraoch
06-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Any reason why you don't want a filter?

Anyway, with a betta, if you're going to use artificial plants they must be soft, not made of hard plastic that can rip their fragile fins as they go by. So go with silk or fabric-leaved artificial plants.

jeffnyc
06-17-2009, 07:45 PM
the tank is a 10 gallon gourd shape. A filter would be difficult on the small round edge of the top and i like the simplicity of no wires, hoses, attachments, etc.

thanks for the heads up on the artificial plants!!