PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing and Upgrading :)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-14-2009, 12:48 PM
So I will be downsizing from my 125gal reef to my 46gal bowfront. The 125 is just getting to be a bit too expensive to operate as a Reef tank. Not an easy decision to make as of my 5 favorite fish in the tank will have to go. However, with that said, I will be able to make my 46 a much more stunning tank. This tank will have 8x39w T5HO lighting. :) With that lighting I will be focusing on SPS and probably a Clam or 2. The fish inhabitants are still undecided. We may keep the Royal Gramma, Ocellaris Clowns, and Firefish, but we may also look for something a bit more unusual.

The skimmer will also be getting a nice little upgrade as well. Going to be getting a Reef Octopus HOB model. This will be one of their new models that have received rave reviews.

So far here is what I currently have for this tank:

Lighting
Powerheads (2x Koralia 3)
Skimmer is sitting at my LFS waiting to be picked up. :)
60 lbs of live rock.

Corals:
SPS - 1 Red Monti digitata, 1 Blue Tip Acro, 3 Monti Caps
LPS - Galaxia, Lobo Brain

I'll probably keep my 3 colors of Zoanthids as well.

As for fish, that is something we are still trying to figure out. LOL

Lowflyer
06-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Sounds awesome, can't wait to see the picsthumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
06-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a good plan and very understandable. Will you be able to find use of the lighting you had for the 125 gallon? Too bad some of your favorites have to go but you do what ya gotta do.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Hobbs, the lighting from my 125 is actually a pair of 36" 4x39w T5HO fixutres and the 46 is 36" long. :) I've found the perfect use for them. LOL I'm also am working on other plans for the 125. Not sure what those are yet, but I'm working on it.

Lady Hobbs
06-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Awesome idea then! Sounds like you have this all thought out then and will have a great tank. How about some Discus in that 125? :)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-14-2009, 01:25 PM
I've thought about that Hobbs. Not sure yet though. I've done the Discus thing before. Here's my thing though. I know myself all too well, and I'm trying to keep myself from going into a full blown planted tank, and that will not really decrease my cost. I'm needing fish in there that are not really compatible with plants. LOL

oldhead
06-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I noticed there are no plans for a sump. What made you decide to go that route? Which model Octo did you go with? Great skimmer choice, I'll be buying another once I upgrade and go to an in sump skimmer.

AABatteries
06-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Cool. Hopefully all goes well with the new tank.

Do you have any pics of the 125g you could share?

Red
06-14-2009, 04:09 PM
What are you going to do with all the live rock in the 125?
GL with the whole process..

domjd05
06-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Hobbs, the lighting from my 125 is actually a pair of 36" 4x39w T5HO fixutres and the 46 is 36" long. :) I've found the perfect use for them. LOL I'm also am working on other plans for the 125. Not sure what those are yet, but I'm working on it.

Thats what I have on my 46 bowfront, both of them will fit comfortably on the top, but depending if your hood is glass like mine, you will have to pick up and move one of the lights everytime you go to open the hood...minor.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Thats what I have on my 46 bowfront, both of them will fit comfortably on the top, but depending if your hood is glass like mine, you will have to pick up and move one of the lights everytime you go to open the hood...minor.
Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone who has done something like this with the lights.

Sev, the rest of the live rock is going to be sold to people in my Reef Club along with the rest of the corals and fish. If the fish do not all get sold they will go to my LFS for credit.

BTW, Oldhead, one of the big reasons I've decided to get away from a sump is a safety issue. The stand for my 46 is completely open under the tank, and the tank is in my livingroom and I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. :) Another reason is to get away from the added evaporation issues that arise from that much water movement. I will be keeping all the equipment for the sump incase I do decide to put one on there in the future.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Picked up the skimmer today and started it running on the 125 to get it broken in.
Oldhead, the skimmer is the Reef Octopus BH-100F. This has 3 chambers, the third one is for filter media such as Carbon or other such media.

Had a small setback in the timeline for this change. I had to order a new connector for my Eheim 2026 (the second filter for the 125) and it is now on backorder for 4 weeks. I do have an Emperor 400 sitting around that I could use but I don't know if I really want to pull it out.

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 02:50 AM
:19: I hear 125s make amazing oscar tanks! thumbs2: They are not good for plants!:hmm3grin2orange:

Young kids is why I downsized originally as well.Its great now though,they carry the buckets for me now! woo:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-17-2009, 03:00 AM
I hear 125s make amazing oscar tanks! thumbs2: They are not good for plants!:hmm3grin2orange: I had that thought as well, but my wife doesn't like O's :scry:

I may very well for for South American Cichlids of some kind. Got a possibility in mind right now, but gonna keep it under wraps for now.:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Sounds great! thumbs2:
I love surprises!:hmm3grin2orange: