PDA

View Full Version : June Competition Entry Threads/Rule Change

fins_n_fur
06-01-2009, 07:51 AM
The June comp entry threads are up...go get your camera lenses buffed and polished for some awesome entries!

As to the rule change that applies to all photos submitted for all of the competitions, the mod team has added the following rule to the contest description as well as to each of the entry threads so it's not missed:

Some edits are allowed in your photo submissions such as cropping, tuning for sharpness and/or brightness, resizing to 800 pixels wide, and re-touching small areas of the photos (removing algae spots for example). All of these allow you to submit the best picture possible. Background changes, editing out other fish or features or creatures in the tank, and superimposing images from another photo into the original photo are not allowed. Your entry may be disqualified at the moderation team's discretion, if what we deem to be significant edits or alterations were made.

Additionally, I will do my best every few days during the entry periods to send pm's that we have received your photo entries. If you don't have a pm from me as the entry period nears the end, please get in touch with me.

Lady Hobbs
06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Good idea. :ssuprised:

There should be NO photo editing other than resizing "in my opinion." I mean, really, are these contests for the members photos or a contest for who can edit the most?

rich311k
06-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I would agree either allow it or dont allow it. Saying a little is ok is kind of confusing. I mean why is removing an algae spot ok but removing a bit of a background fish bad. Niether effects the subject.

Wild Turkey
06-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Good idea. :ssuprised:

There should be NO photo editing other than resizing "in my opinion." I mean, really, are these contests for the members photos or a contest for who can edit the most?

I have to agree. Touching up photos should not be allowed in my opinion, since they are photo contests and not photo edit contests. Cropping and resizing is of course a little different.

Red
06-01-2009, 03:52 PM
LOL, that doesn't effect me, I don't know how to do it anyways :)
thanks for the update..

William
06-01-2009, 04:14 PM
It is hard not to allowed editing that many can do in the camera while taking the picture such as cropping and some other edits.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-02-2009, 02:39 AM
I have to agree with Hobbs on this. Cropping and resizing is fine IMO, but even the removal of Algae spots is something that is all part of the skill of taking pictures. A properly prepared photo should involve a cleaning of the glass to ensure a clear shot. There are those with access to photo editing software that can do far more then basic editing, however not all of us can afford to go get those, and not all of us are dishonest enough to use a cracked version of those programs. The photo competitions are a contest of photography skill, not editing skill.

Wild Turkey
06-02-2009, 02:43 AM
Perhaps we could have an "edited photo" competition in addition to the others? That why everyone can have their cake and eat it too? Just a thought

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-02-2009, 02:45 AM
We had one a few months ago. It was the CPOTM.

Wild Turkey
06-02-2009, 02:52 AM

Yup, It was the inspiration for the idea. I seem to remember people had fun with it, and that would keep the other comps fair

Kaz
06-02-2009, 02:55 AM

And, of course, the one in my sig but nobody cares about that. And it's like 10 times different.

Northernguy
06-02-2009, 03:03 AM
I agree lets keep it fair and simple!
Have it in the CPOTM a few times a year or something.

Turk,I love the Hat!thumbs2:

Kaz
06-02-2009, 03:05 AM
I agree lets keep it fair and simple!
Have it in the CPOTM a few times a year or something.

Turk,I love the Hat!thumbs2:

I made it for him.:hmm3grin2orange: :22: