PDA

View Full Version : Is H2O2 safe for inverts?

plantedlab
05-28-2009, 04:40 PM
I have been reading in another thead about using H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) as a spot treatment for hair algae. I am tempted to try this as I have some black hair issues in my 30 gallon Cherry shrimp tank. I hear it is safe for fish and most plants, but no one seemed to know about inverts.

Has anyone tried this with Cherries or other inverts?

Wiggs
05-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I would ask Algenco as he was the one that proposed using it. I would imagine it would be fine since its in REALLLLLY small doses, but just double check with him.

toddnbecka
05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
It's fine, just use an eyedropper to spot treat where necessary. It will add O2 to the water, and can also be used (though only once, and in very small amount) to "revive" fish that have been bagged too long.

Fraoch
05-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I would imagine hydrogen peroxide wouldn't last very long in an aquarium, it literally would not be able to travel from where the algae is to where an invertebrate is without breaking down.

It's extremely reactive and will oxidize any biological compound (or just about anything else) it comes in contact with, leaving water and oxygen, so its end products are safe.

You'd have to squirt it directly on the invertebrate to have any effect.

plantedlab
05-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Cool, I'm definately going to try it. Thanks for the quick replies.

Alfcea
05-28-2009, 09:27 PM
I would imagine hydrogen peroxide wouldn't last very long in an aquarium, it literally would not be able to travel from where the algae is to where an invertebrate is without breaking down.

It's extremely reactive and will oxidize any biological compound (or just about anything else) it comes in contact with, leaving water and oxygen, so its end products are safe.

You'd have to squirt it directly on the invertebrate to have any effect.

Fraoch, H2O2 is not as unstable as you make it sound, particularly in the dark. It is very reactive and a strong oxidizer, but if given enough agitation, it will move around in a tank, though it will be diluted in the process. Also, you say that the end products are safe. Yes, they are. However, the intermediates (free radicals) are not. They could cause damage... and that is why it is used as a disinfectant.

When I spot treat my bba with hydrogen peroxide, I squirt it directly on the affected areas (with lights and filtration off) and leave it for about ten minutes. I then turn on the lights and see the decomposition (formation of oxygen bubbles). Once it stops, I turn the fiter back on... I've never had any problems doing this...

Plantedlab, I agree with the previous posters. I'm pretty certain you can use it with inverts. Just, as Fraoch says, do not squirt it directly on them. You will be fine.

PUNISHER VETTE
05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I killed a TON of my cherry's by using H2O2. Although i just kinda dumped in some and didn't spot threat.

I would suggest treating the plant outside the tank if the algae is bad, then planting it back in.

If it's not bad just don't overdue the H2O2.