PDA

View Full Version : Sun burn

agentsmith
03-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

Finally moved my silver Arrowana (about 28") for the floor installation. Surprisingly, it didn't put up too much of a fight.

The new temp location of the tanks is near a sunny window. I left the blinds open for a couple of days, and noticed the fish got a lot darker. I figured it wsa from the sun light.

I had no idea that fish can get sun burn (tan?). So funny.

Thought I share that with y'all.

cocoa_pleco
03-07-2007, 12:58 AM
weird. also, watch when you put tanks near sun. You'll get major algae growth

agentsmith
03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I had it at a window before, not sunny as now, but still plenty of algae growth, especially when I left the blinds open.

Good thing this is only temporary, I will wait till I move it back to clean the tank again.

Chrona
03-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't think fish can get sunburn as long as the light passes through glass (either from the window or the tank itself), as it absorbs the UV rays. Metal halide lights give off a lot of UV rays, which is why they always recommend you put a piece of glass or something in between. HQI Metal Halides seem to have some filtering coating on the bulb itself.

Chrona
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Then again, I may have remembered wrong, but I don't think I've ever gotten sunburned through glass before, ie long car trip with sun on arm.